Opinions on list of mics

antacid

So, I have been recording using a Peavey microphone that appears to be selling for about twenty-thirty bucks on Ebay. Obviously not ideal. I'm trying not to spend too much, but I do need to upgrade. Here are the mics I'm looking at:

at2020
sm57/sm58
mxl v-67g
AKG C2000B
cad m179

These are all within my price range. One thing I should point out is that I tend to sound nasally/stuffed up (regardless of whether I actually am). "M" often sounds like "b," etc. I realize from reading around here that this may come down to working on my vocal technique, but at the same time, I definitely want to choose a mic that's going to help me in that regard as opposed to hurting me. I'm mostly recording heavy rock music, but there is some slower trance-like stuff as well.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

No, I guess not. I thought maybe my Boss GS-10 would work for that (that's what I send the mic signal through currently), but it doesn't appear to. I will go start reading up on that, but maybe you can just point me in the right direction. Also, your opinion on the mics would be great.

Thanks!

Thanks for that. Is there any benefit to spending a little more on something like the m179 (I found what looks like a good deal on one for +$30 over the cost of the V67g), or do you think I should save the money?

Regarding phantom power, would something like this work?

(amazon.com/) Nady-SMPS-1X-Phantom-Power-Supply/dp/B000XUUXB8/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Or do I need to spend a little more on something like this?

(amazon.com/) Samson-SASPHANT-S-Phantom-Phantom-Supply/dp/B000QCKJDU/ref=zg_tr_11974571_1/186-3637698-1965604

Why not just get an interface that has phantom power to it's micpres?

As for microphone selection it's always hard to say until you try one out ..... If I were you I would start to look for a few of these microphones used and at those prices you can have two for the price of one. ;)

Why not just get an interface that has phantom power to it's micpres?

It seems like that might be overkill for my particular situation. I'm using the GS-10 for everything else and it would be nice to just keep plugging the mic into the back like I have been. If I can make that happen with a new mic by getting a phantom power supply for twenty bucks, that seems to be a better deal than having to buy an interface and then swap it back and forth with the GS-10.

Then get the power supply. I can only see you in the near future wanting to upgrade your system as all of us here do! ;)

I can only see you in the near future wanting to upgrade your system as all of us here do!

Quite possible... :D

Check your local Craig's list then evilbay for used units and microphones.

Yeah, I've been looking on Ebay while determining what I can afford. CL is a great idea, I'll check there as well.

Thanks!

I ended up spending a long time comparing three microphones' reviews and specs: the v67g, the M179, and the AT2035. Pretty hard to choose when you're buying online and they seem almost identical. I ended up going with the M179 based on a minor difference some people described in its tone, which I think may compliment my particular voice. Then I bought the cheaper of the two phantom power supplies I mentioned before. If I run into any problems due to that choice, I'll return here to post about it.

Thanks for replying, moresound and drumslinger.

Last edited:
I ended up spending a long time comparing three microphones' reviews and specs: the v67g, the M179, and the AT2035. Pretty hard to choose when you're buying online and they seem almost identical. I ended up going with the M179 based on a minor difference some people described in its tone, which I think may compliment my particular voice. Then I bought the cheaper of the two phantom power supplies I mentioned before. If I run into any problems due to that choice, I'll return here to post about it.

Thanks for replying, moresound and drumslinger.

Well, that is the problem with judging a mic from people's description of a mic's tone. While I don't have the v67g, I have the AT2020 (which is, apparently the same mic as the AT2035, minus the pad and low cut switch) and the M179. The two mics couldn't be different in tone. While the 2020 is largely neutral with a very slight presence boost, the M179 is a "darker" mic. I consider both of them to be great mics to have for somebody who's wanting to build a good mic locker on a budget. I recommend two of each, for stereo mic'ing.

I think you'll like the M179, though. It has become my personal "go to" mic for my own voice, beating out many mics that cost WAY more money.

Back