Opinions on CAD Equitek E-100

grahamware said:
What are thoughts of people around here on this kick mic? Has anyone had any experience with it? How does it compare with the D112, Beta 52, or ATM25?

Thanks,
Graham D.
http://www.hr-faq.org
I just got home from Summer NAMM where I had a conversation with CAD about this very mic for this very application. Actually, this mic is no longer being produced. Instead, they are coming out with a new version, the E-100^2 (the "2" is a super script, so it reads 100 squared) CAD said that besides being a good vocal and instrument mic, it makes a great kick mic, being able to effortlessly handle the high SPLs. It's the same capsule as the old version, but they've modified the suspension for further movement. The electronics have also been up-dated. I tried it on vocals and thought it sounded pretty good.

Me, it's the first thing I go for on kick mic. Depending on placement, either straight on or pointing at the edge, or some mix in between, I get anything from pure BOOM to full-bodied THUMP, working well with many different drumming and music styles. Generally, this mic sounds very BIG... but it also captures a lot of mids and upper frequencies, so you might need to play around with EQ. Like other CAD mics, this thing has really extended low frequency response, and I really can feel the difference on this mic. I'm not too fond of the ATM25...doesn't feel as big to me, not enough low end, but this may work in other situations. Honestly don't have the others, though I do like the Beta 52 generally speaking...

My first experience with the E-100 was actually...as a stereo pair, micing a high school boys choir. This is a pretty versatile mic.

Dang!

I have a pair of E-100s iv'e been using for years on Voice,acoustic Guitar and percussion. They are very versatile and have a little fuller mid range than a lot of mics. I never even considered using it for Kick.
My Beta 52 might have to move over!

I have used it on acoustic and vocals, and as a drum room mic(pretty standard) but never on kick. Im thinking of picking one up also.

I've got one..I haven't used it in a while although I do like it..I've been useing a Beta52 mostly or sometimes a 421 on kik so maybe I'll give the E100 a whirl..I think you can get 'em used for about a 100.00 now..

Don

This is probably one of the most "different"-sounding mic's I've ever come across. Even on a boom box, you can tell if something was recorded through this. It has a very unique sound, and it's worth having around for that alone.

-mg

Could you define different?? You got me curious.

T

mgraffeo said:
This is probably one of the most "different"-sounding mic's I've ever come across. Even on a boom box, you can tell if something was recorded through this. It has a very unique sound, and it's worth having around for that alone.

-mg

Flatpicker said:
Ok, I'll bite...;)
If you used it a lot and liked it, why did you get rid of it?:confused:

It ended up being part of a deal for some gear another studio in town wanted.

It wasn't my favorite mic but I do remember it being a decent all around mic.

grahamware said:
What are thoughts of people around here on this kick mic? Has anyone had any experience with it? How does it compare with the D112, Beta 52, or ATM25?

Thanks,
Graham D.
http://www.hr-faq.org

I think I read on another form that CAD was discontinuing the E100, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Re: Re: Opinions on CAD Equitek E-100

Flatpicker said:
Actually, this mic is no longer being produced. Instead, they are coming out with a new version, the E-100^2 (the "2" is a super script, so it reads 100 squared)

I think it was here DJL...:D

Back