Opinions on Behringer Eurodesk MX9000?

JazzMang

He's Junktastic!
So I was helping out at a live gig the other night and the sound guy was using a Behringer MX9000. I was talking to him a lot and was messing around with the mixer and it actually seemed to be pretty decent (although I was listening to it in a non-recording

I was asking around and found out that I can get one of these for pretty cheap. There have been some decent reviews on it... albeit not one of the best boards out there, but still very flexible in its operation.

Has anyone messed around with these? My main concern here is the quality of the pre-amps. Are they noisy like the other infamous MX-series, or are they improved at all?

If it is indeed still shitty, what other large-size mixers can I get for around the same price that aren't as crappy, but still have good routing options.
I have access to some decent mixers if i need them, but i need to look into getting one for myself. I need good routing options, metering, and lots of inputs.

thanks again

jazzmang

I work on an MX9000 quite often. Preamps are decent, EQ is noisy and not very useful, routing is fairly flexible, metering is not the greatest, Mix B is a nice touch. Phantom available in banks of 8 channels, no phase reverse.

For the same money or less used--the Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 smokes the Behringer. Similar routing options, much nicer EQ, phantom is per channel (Behringer does it in banks of 8), phase reverse per channel, metering is as good or better, generally a higher quality product all around. Harvey Gerst uses one too, or did at one time, AFAIK. I got one with the meter bridge for around $800 off ebay.

Thanks for the info.
i was looking at some more alternatives and came across the Yamaha MG32/14FX.
I have used yamaha mixers in the past and liked them. Anyone have and pros/cons about the yamaha vs. the mx9000?

I just bought a used Soudcraft LX7 24 channel with case off ebay for $850.00 with shipping. A used good board is better then a new cheap board.

The eq on the behringers i've tried have to be used in moderation. Better to reduce the frequencies you don't want. Otherwise they don't sound any noisier to me than some more expensive mixers.

JazzMang said:
Thanks for the info.
i was looking at some more alternatives and came across the Yamaha MG32/14FX.
I have used yamaha mixers in the past and liked them. Anyone have and pros/cons about the yamaha vs. the mx9000?

Anyone care to tell me about your experiences with this mixer?

JazzMang said:
Anyone care to tell me about your experiences with this mixer?

I returned a Behringer mixer that sounded bad to me and bought a Yamaha MG series. No comparison. Yamaha has way better sound quality. Behringer probably offers a few more bells and whistles, but the Yamaha was sooooo better sounding (more detail, less noise, better EQ).

The MX9000 is a horribly constructed mixer built entirely of 3rd grade components.
1st, the 9000 incorporates below-par pre's supposedly measured with an input sensitivity rating of 22+dbu's.However, an actual test perf'md by a longtime & well-respected member here a while back using hi-sense condensors on a drum-kit,measured a mere 16+dbu's. ProRec's resident pro B.Park, also concluded that the 9000's pre's were wholly inadequate for hi-quality mic use.

2nd, the 9000's boasts a 4-band eq with 2-semi-para mid bands. Unfortunately, using the mid-band sweeps to either boost/cut a freq'y simultaneously renders the 15db pad attenuater useless as loss of gain will be noticeable when sweeps are put in use (via a demonstration @ the defunct Apple Studios in NYC).

3rd, The 9000's power transformer produces a hi-level of heat with very little
in the way of heat dissipation. This creates the unwanted noise in the circuit paths (specifically the channels; NOISE being the #1 complaint from Beh mixer owners) along with contributing to unit breakdown( from my OWN personal experience. In addition, the unit uses some kind of ULN circuitry (prob'ly named after it 's owner Uli Behringer but s'posed to mean Ultra Low Noise) that puports to be far superior than what is found in most boards in it's range. Gimme a break!

4th, the unit comes up weak as a FOH'ists board as was evidenced during a concert featuring jazz-git'ist,Eric Gale where he constantly complained to the soundman after each song about improper gain & tone levels and an apparent "buzzing sound" that accompanied each solo'd passage he performed on acoustic.

I could go on & on...............

From a former (and NEVER AGAIN) Behringer MX mixer owner.
Q.rM

i used it a few times for big mixdowns (24 tracks is big for me)

its so nice cause its got all these options !
but thats it in my opinion, options, nice routing of the signal ,
don't have all that at home;;;

but even, take a look in the manual, follow the schematics,
and you'll see that in those schematics are a few mistakes !!!!
a few 'lines' are missing and you can 'read' that its got triple bussing,
while it only has double bussing (or did they hide that extra bus somewhere on the bottom of the console?)
what does that mean to me? if they can't even print proper schematics that are 100% reliable......then whats up with all the electronics inside?

if you don't have lots of money, then yeah, its a nice mixer,
i know bands that used this machine for two songs, and it sounds OK,
more than OK, cause they put two awesome engineers on it

but it sucks if you're affraid to touch the EQ !!! then why did they put it on the console?
i'm never buying behringer again, they got lots of stuff that works,
but thats it, i prefer stuff that works AND is reliable,

+ i bet, that if u buy the 9000 today and wanna sell it NEXT year
you'll have to let it go for maybe €300 or so? isn't that typically Berrie..

Soundcraft Ghost

earworm said:
ps, on ebay.co.UK i saw a soundcraft ghost 32-monitor console
go for less than €2000 euro's !!!

hunt for that instead ;)
I agree with earworm... but shipping cost could be a bitch.

Thanks guys for the responses.
So I was looking around and found these mixers to be ones that are in the same price range when bought new (I dont like buying mixers used... just personal preference).
1) Yamaha MG32/14FX
2) Mackie CFX-20 Mixer
3) Others that you guys know of that are at or below $1000 new.

Thanks again.

JazzMang said:
So I was helping out at a live gig the other night and the sound guy was using a Behringer MX9000. I was talking to him a lot and was messing around with the mixer and it actually seemed to be pretty decent (although I was listening to it in a non-recording

I was asking around and found out that I can get one of these for pretty cheap. There have been some decent reviews on it... albeit not one of the best boards out there, but still very flexible in its operation.

Has anyone messed around with these? My main concern here is the quality of the pre-amps. Are they noisy like the other infamous MX-series, or are they improved at all?

If it is indeed still shitty, what other large-size mixers can I get for around the same price that aren't as crappy, but still have good routing options.
I have access to some decent mixers if i need them, but i need to look into getting one for myself. I need good routing options, metering, and lots of inputs.

thanks again

jazzmang

I don't know about the MX9000 but I had an MX8000 for years and that was a damn fine mixer. I am assuming that the MX9000 is made with shoddy components as it is 1/2 the cost of the MX8000 in 1998!

If you come accross a used MX8000 than you would have no problem with it as it is almost an exact copy of the Mackie board. Probably better to pass on the MX9000 unless you really can't afford a better mixer.

acorec said:
I don't know about the MX9000 but I had an MX8000 for years and that was a damn fine mixer. I am assuming that the MX9000 is made with shoddy components as it is 1/2 the cost of the MX8000 in 1998!

If you come accross a used MX8000 than you would have no problem with it as it is almost an exact copy of the Mackie board. Probably better to pass on the MX9000 unless you really can't afford a better mixer.

Hey wassup there acorec! I'm surprised you didn't refute my statements!! :D

MISTERQCUE said:

Even i agree about the MX9000 it has a poor reliability record. I should point out however that one of my favorite CD's of the last couple of years both from the artistic and recording quality point of view was done with a MX9000 mixer* and a couple of rode NT2's, but then again the guy (performer & producer) is a genius.

I am a Behringer fan but I would not buy the larger Berry mixers, If you are in the market for something this expansive surely a few bucks spent extra would be money well spent?

Tony

* The power supply had failed on his MX9000 and he had it rebuilt with higher capacity I.C. Voltage Regulators which cured all the problems he was having.

MISTERQCUE said:

Nothing to refute. All I have ever written is that I have experience with a 1997 Behringer MX8000 board that was a great sounding and very reliable mixing board. What Behringer has done since then I have no clue as I don't have anything made by them.

Good to hear from you MrQ.

So I have decided against the behringer. I was wondering if anyone has any direct experience with the Yamaha MG32/14FX. I dont care about the effects section at all. If they are good, thats cool, if not, I will never use them.
Pre quality? Build Quality? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. JazzMang.

Last edited:
ok, little update,
last week i did a 24 channel mix on that machine

one gain button didn't work anymore,
one of the meters on the meter bridge didn't work anymore

thats typically behringer, stuff breaks down after a few months...
if u use it all all all all the time...

i'm never buying behringer again

wilkee said:
I should point out however that one of my favorite CD's of the last couple of years both from the artistic and recording quality point of view was done with a MX9000 mixer* and a couple of rode NT2's, but then again the guy (performer & producer) is a genius.
What is it?

earworm said:
ok, little update,
last week i did a 24 channel mix on that machine

one gain button didn't work anymore,
one of the meters on the meter bridge didn't work anymore

thats typically behringer, stuff breaks down after a few months...
if u use it all all all all the time...

i'm never buying behringer again

'Nuff said!

Back