Opinions kindly requested please

First off, it sounds like you guys are having an identity crisis on what musical direction to take the band. These two clips sound like two completely different bands. The first song reminded me of early Yellowjackets and the Rippingtons. Great sounding drums and keys, the guitar was a bit over the top, but I could hear a viable commercial outlet in a CD 101.9 Kool Jazz direction. No singer necessary....

The second clip threw me for a loop - all those heavy riffing guitars and bass fills. You guys all have great chops - but it was quite a departure from the first song. I guess it can be compared to Return to Forever, but I'm not seeing any commerical potential here (maybe that's not your primary goal).

Maybe you need to consider a different guitarist. Don't get me wrong, he's a great guitarist, but it sounds like he's a metalhead trapped in a jazz ensemble steering you down a dated path of 80's excess and self-indulgence. A more tasteful, toneful guitarist a'la Larry Carlton or Robben Ford would give your music more soul and sophistication.

After going back and reading your bio, I have a better understanding of the group. By describing yourselves as progressive technical rock, you've refused to pin yourself into some generic musical category. I think you've achieved your goals with these demos - they are diverse, expressive and demonstrate your technical abilities. Just not exactly my cup of tea.

Sorry for (almost) getting your guitarist fired :-)

DC-XPL said:
Sorry for (almost) getting your guitarist fired :-)
lmao!
Yeah those are 2 extreme ends of the universe.
The funny thing is, the guitarist did the jazz ensemble all by himself. :p
I got the drums from a machine. I am going to pull the gtr back as it is loud. Thanks for the kind words - btw.

That heavy demo is our old selves but if you made it to the intro of the second song, thats closer to where we're goin in rock.

You nailed us though -A little lost on the direction. Our drummer is a jazz drummer but he won't admit it. I can't get rid of the heavy metal oozing through my blood and would love to focus on a jazz fusion direction. I think we will actually end up with two bands (projects) in the future.

Thanks again,
-jw

mulch said:
Would love some feedback on these. Dont mind the production plz.

Kojack - Light Rock-Fusion

Prelude-Ride - Heavy Rock followed by some Progressive

We just recently put these demos together. (pssst - we need a singer if you know any)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/mulch.htm

thx
-mulch

The Kojack number ended wayyyyyy too soon, I was just starting to get into it! :(

Prelude Ride was a little too standard, and you are right, the guitars did step all over everything.

I think if you found a singer who could wail, you could probably pull off the heavier stuff, but it's a little dated...

Find a good jazz singer and continue to explore. I like what you are doing!

Back