Opinions about this recording

I listened for a minute or so while I petted my monkey....

ver-r-r-r-y minimalist

This has grown tiresome...

It's sonically brilliant. Very subtle; but it works. It's soothing, yet clearly defined at the same time. I'd like a little variation in the theme, I think.

Of fuck me; I was listening to the fan on my computer. Sorry.

:) The "Attach File" option doesn't work :) ... Here it is:

This is not a song of mine, it's only a demo from a Korg T3, I need your opinions about the recording (too much reverb? distortion?)

Then check out this one too, if you can (It was lost in my free web space):

Thanks, MaxB

you mean, you hit the "demo-playing" button and record what came out of the keyboard?? I don't think you can do anything wrong recording/mixing it then...since the recording quality only depends on your cable&soundcard, and the mixing is...err...already mixed by the manufacture

Try playing some notes, record that, then layer it on top of a drum loop or something, I think that way you can actually tell if you are mixing things right or not.

Al

A1A2 said:
you mean, you hit the "demo-playing" button and record what came out of the keyboard?? I don't think you can do anything wrong recording/mixing it then...since the recording quality only depends on your cable&soundcard, and the mixing is...err...already mixed by the manufacture

Try playing some notes, record that, then layer it on top of a drum loop or something, I think that way you can actually tell if you are mixing things right or not.

Al

Yes... I hit the button. :) (playback from the T3 sequencer... so the mix it's only volume/pan position).

In the last months I'm going slightly mad with reverb levels, compression, etc., but listening to this demo I realized that it's possible to have a good recording bypassing compressors, limiters, different reverb sends for every channel... Can anybody tell me the difference between this recording and a premixed, mixed, mastered one? :)

I think that a good mix, with very well balanced tracks, don't need compression... Right?

The 2nd file it's not a demo from a keyboard... It's an instrumental piece I've dome some years ago.
I've used a Yamaha TG300, Akai S2000 and a Roland SRV2000 reverb. Some editing in Cool Edit and no compression.

MaxB said:
Yes... I hit the button. :) (playback from the T3 sequencer... so the mix it's only volume/pan position).

In the last months I'm going slightly mad with reverb levels, compression, etc., but listening to this demo I realized that it's possible to have a good recording bypassing compressors, limiters, different reverb sends for every channel... Can anybody tell me the difference between this recording and a premixed, mixed, mastered one? :)

I think that a good mix, with very well balanced tracks, don't need compression... Right?

The 2nd file it's not a demo from a keyboard... It's an instrumental piece I've dome some years ago.
I've used a Yamaha TG300, Akai S2000 and a Roland SRV2000 reverb. Some editing in Cool Edit and no compression.

listened to the second tune, i like it, the dynamic is really good. In this case, no, you don't wanna put any compression on them. The only thing that kinda bothers me is the midi feeling, especially in the intro. Mixing wise, sounds good, maybe bring up the lead melody a little at some spots. Right now it's very rhythm driven.

I am not sure what you mean by "balanced tracks". I think balanced is normally refered as the stereo image(left/right volume). A well balanced mix can, however, still benefit from compression if some instrument or the whole mix is too dynamic, meaning things just jump out of the mix in an unpleasent way.

I've never put any compression on synth tracks because you already have a good control of its dynamic with midi sequencers. But, you can still use compression as an effect tho.

I hope this helps

Al

A1A2 said:
listened to the second tune, i like it, the dynamic is really good. In this case, no, you don't wanna put any compression on them. The only thing that kinda bothers me is the midi feeling, especially in the intro. Mixing wise, sounds good, maybe bring up the lead melody a little at some spots. Right now it's very rhythm driven.

I am not sure what you mean by "balanced tracks".

I've never put any compression on synth tracks because you already have a good control of its dynamic with midi sequencers. But, you can still use compression as an effect tho.

Al

Well, I'm happy you like the mix... :) This is the first time I have a "review" of a track, and it's a good thing for me to know my monitors don't fool me (monitors = a pair of West Germany made Grundig - model unknown - about 35 years old).

I don't know what you mean with "midi feeling"... Poor arrangement/cheap sound module I suppose. If so, yes, I've used a Yamaha TG300, a cheap general MIDI expander...
My most common error with sounds when composing/mixing is that after hundreds of hours listening to a certain sound I'm not more able to distinguish if that sound it's good or not.

"Balanced tracks": I was talking about stereo image and levels (I beg your pardon for my poor english).

Compressor: I must admit that I can't understand how to use a compressor properly... I have read a lot about compressor ratio, threshold, gain, etc., but I'm never sure of what I'm doing :(
I always try to trust my ears.

Mediterraneo: it was a cd made two years ago, if you are interested I've found something like a "trailer" with excerpts from every track into my forgotten free web space. :) :

Back