Opinion - string noise

Seanmorse79

I've always felt that string noise on close-mic'd finger-picked acoustic guitar was to be expected, and sounded okay.

However, I just got a new acoustic, and I'm working on a little project that's going to be played for the Daddy-daughter dance at my wedding in February, and I think the string noise is kinda questionable.

Here's a snipplet - tracked, compressed a bit, added some basic hall reverb (excuse the rough mix - I'm still tracking).

Do you guys think that I need to re-track and do something about the string noise, or do you think it's okay?

Cool song, first of all - I'd buy an album with stuff like that on it any day.

I've heard commercial releases with much more string noise than that - unless the wav file is quite a bit more obvious, I wouldn't worry about it. Kinda belongs in an acoustic track to my mind.

You probably already know this, but if the string noise generally bothers you one technique to minimise it is to try and fret the more noisy notes using the softer parts of the fingers instead of callused tips.

Overall, great start on a good feeling vibe, especially for a Father-Daughter dance... Steve

I've always found string noise irritating, and extremely distracting, but I'm not a guitar player, so take that for what's its worth.

Your tune, on the other hand, is very pleasent and nicely done. The minimal amount of string noise I do hear is not bad at all.

I, for one, think it sounds great!

But if it is bothering you, and you have a choice of mics to use (or one with a switchable pattern) you might want to try a hyper cardioid pattern and play with positioning. I've heard of people eliminating some of the string noise that way.

But really, it sounds quite nice to my ears.

What guitar/mic(s) are you using?

Brad

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I guess I'm not quite sure if it bothers me or not. I played it for a buddy and he mentioned that he noticed it, but that it didn't sound too bad. I thought he may have just been being nice.

I did try to flatten the fingers a bit to tone down the squeaks, but I had a hard time doing it (I'm kind of a jack-of-all instruments, master of none).

I'll probably have some strings/pads in it before it's done (plus vocals, obviously). So hopefully, it won't show through too badly.

I used an Okatava MK219 on the 12th fret, angled in towards the bridge, and an ancient Shure dynamic on the bridge angled up towards the fretboard. Both about 9-12 inches away. I figured the dynamic might soften it a bit. I tracked both through (eek) a 3630 for limiting only. The compressor I use for vox is only 1 channel, so I had to dust off the 3630. Guitar is a Samick Gold Rush.

Mucho graci' for the feedback :)

One other thing.

First let me say It sounds like it is going to be a great sounding song! But if you do want to get rid of some of the squeak you can use some "Finger Ease" (or the equivalent) spray lubricant on the neck / strings and it will reduce it a lot.

tmix

Cool. I've heard of using everything from baby powder to cigarette ashes, to Elixer strings, but I hadn't thought of Finger Ease. Never tried the stuff, but it's worth a shot.

I've also heard soaking your fingertips in water will soften the callouses and help reduce string noise as well. (Haven't tried it myself yet.)

I think it's going to sound great, and you are pretty close. Here are some things to consider. First, I am not sure that the guitar would be that loud in the mix when you are done mixing it; therefore, are you really going to hear the guitar and it's squeaks right out in front like that anyways? Is it possible that it's just the guitar being too loud? My point is that your basic guitar sound might just be done.

However, you may consider experimenting with deadening the room with pillows or sleeping bags on the walls. It sounds like the high-frequency string noise that is there is sort of getting bounced around the room, and killing some high frequencies with some low-tech means might do wonders.

"gorilla Snot" finger lube works great. I've recorded numerous acoustic tracks where my calouses would sound like a bow running across the strings. Tried "gorilla snot" as suggested by a session player and I'm a striclty a snot guy now.

Flat wound strings will eliminate almost all finger noise, but they also sound sort of dead in my opinion

Good suggestions. I think I'm going to try the Elixer nanowebs and either Gorilla Snot or Finger Ease. Hopefully it'll clear up the squeaks and I'll be back in business.

Mucho thanks for all the suggestions :)

I think the sound of strings gives a song some extra intimacy. I like it, in general. I do not play guitar, but I do dabble on piano, and, actually, I like piano sounds too, pedals, fingers on keys, etc.

I can't listen to this loud right now, I'm at work (I never actually work...doh!) but I think it's sounding rather nice to me!

Kirstin

Sounds great!

A poor man's fix is to eat some potato chips before playing. The grease left on the fingers reduces the noise (but eventually reeks hell on the strings).

Now there's a fix I can live with ...Ruffles never sounded so good :D

I agree about the intimacy - thing is, I think there's a line when the finger squeaks become too loud - I could probably stand to move the mics back a bit too. Elixers, snot and chips. That's the way to go :)

I agree with seammorse...I thought maybe I would say that in spots it seemed a bit strong, but wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

I do really like it though!

Kirstin

Back