Opera Mic

mgiles7

Hi,

I am new to recording, and I have just purchased a korg d16 digital multi-track unit to record on. I happen to be an aspiring opera singer and I am looking for suggestions on what mic to buy to record myself with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

mgiles, with all due respect the sm57 is a classic rock mike-not a first choice for
classical singing. You probably would be happier with a condenser mike that will give
you better vocal detail. Do you have a good (quiet) area to record in and what's your
budget for the mike?

P.S. Do you already know your vocal classification? (tenor/baritone/bass)

My house is preatty quiet, but If I get too much noise I could easily find someplace close,,,,,Maybe my parents house.
I am a 25 year old lyric Tenor, I have a decent high C when I am in good voice. I have around $300, But I wanted to get some other equipment with some of that, like a good mic cable and such. But I could probably scrounge up some other cash for that stuff.

Most definetly get a good mic cable.
I have the Monster Studio Pro 1000.
Expensive, yes, but worth it.

Good luck,

A1MixMan

mgiles, as you may know this website is primarily oriented towards
various pop genres and rock music.
The best condenser I've used so far on my voice (lyric baritone), is the
Studio Projects C1. If I was doing mostly classical and operatic stuff
I prefer an omni pattern as it sounds more natural to me.
That's why I asked you about your recording room.
Therefore, you may want to try out the C3 as it's a multi-pattern mike.
The Studio Projects line has a "Neumannesque" tone for pennies on the
dollar if you like that kind of sound too.
The website is www.studioprojectsusa.com

P.S. Remember us when you become the "fourth Tenor"!

WOW.....

....Now THERE'S a first! That's one question you don't read here often....ha ha!:D

Man I wish I had a good answer but I don't. I only responded because I was curious what all you will be recording....I mean is it all voice....or will there be some piano recorded....or...what?

Very cool. Not alot of home recordists in the opera genre around here!

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

Yes, I will be tryiong to lay down some piano tracks. I have a nice full size Roland keyboard with the weighted keys and everything. I was planning on just running that direct to the d16. Do you think that will be a problem?

I am sure my first couple trys at this are going to make me wonder why the heck I just spent all this money, But I plan on rideing it out and really working on this.

As far as "What am I going to be recording?" Well, the sky is the limit. I am sure I will do a lot of straight piano-opera, But I also have many friends in the musician field that are going to love trying this out.

I've evan thought of laying down some techno beats and singing opera to it (I love all forms of music, why not stick some of them together that have never been tried before).

And If I could get an 8 piece Orchestra to come in at seperate times and lay down tracks, that would be super cool, But that is somewhere in the far off future, Because I know that is a complicated deal right there.

Anyway, thanks for your advice and intrest, and keep suggesting mics for me to try out, so I can find one that I really love.

Matt

I have actually heard that small diaphragm condensor mics are best for Opera, But that seems a little odd seeing as how that those are usually used for insturments...But what do I know? I also had someone suggest a AKG 414. Any feedback on these two comments? How about you Harvey? You ever recorded Opera? Or know someone that has? I'll take any wisdom I can get at this point. Thanks.

Matt

I dont know who suggested the c414, but he is correct.

The b/uls version is capable of so many different textures by merely changing the directional switch. Omni for bright, fig 8 for big, cardiod for normal and hyper cardoid for intimate.

It is not hyped and this helps operatic vocals a lot. It also has a nice midrange that I hear on many pro tracks. Remember, it was the ldc of choice for many years.

cyan, FWIW the C1's top is not "hyped" on my voice.
I usually "roll off" only about 1 or 2 db's at 12KHZ.
That's due to having bright upper frequencies in my voice,
rather than due to the mike itself.

The AKG C3000b has a similar sound to the C414, and is $300 and includes a shockmount which sells for $100 seperately.

If you have $800 tho, get a C414, although the TLS version is $1000 and has a presence peak in the 'vocal' range to enhance vocals

Matt -

For laying down the piano tracks, a direct feed will be just fine, if you use short, high quality cables. If you need long cable runs, use a couple of direct boxes between the keyboard and the recorder.

Oren

The Studio Projects C1 I have now sounds better than the AKG C3000B
I sold to a local studio owner. He was planning to use the AKG mostly on
female vocalists as it tends to sound better than on male singers.

HI Matt,

Good to see you again!

I'd second Chess' recommendation of the Studio Projects C-3, which by being multi-pattern opens up the sound quite a lot and is a stone bargain at $349.

I suspect the main problem for you will be finding the right working distance, which may also explain why someone has told you that small condensers (from a considerable distance, I assume) might be better.

A super-cheap alternative to small condensers are the Behringer ECM8000 omnis that are available from 8th Street Music (and other vendors) for about $76 delivered (per pair!). You'd have a friend find the two places in your music room where your voice and piano sounded best, and place the omnis there. They will record, then, the piano, your voice, and their interaction with your room in a way that close-micing will not. It takes some experimenting to get it right, I'm told.

I'd love to know what the decibel output of your voice is at 12 inches, 20 inches, and about three feet. The chances are your dynamic *range* is just incredible, and capturing that is going to require not only a great mic but also very careful placement.

I'm excited for you and look forward to hearing more about your successes.

Best wishes,

Mark H.

studio projects?

I checked these out on their webpage..they seem kind Ghetto, for lack of a better word..the frequency response graphs aren't very clear or detailed, and are they calling 17db self noise extremely low? I'd say thats low, not extremely low. But all that matters is how it sounds..they say 'true' condenser too, not externally polarized or electret..so I'm guessing 'true' condenser means externally polarized and not electret..dunno, electrets still bother me, even tho the ECM8000's are, but for $35..

Does anyone know anything about Audio Technica Mics?
And what is the best cheap mic-pre for what I am doing? I don't think the Korg d16 has phantom power, so that may be the only reason I need one right now. I have heard some good things about the audio buddy, is there anything else good in the $100 range?

Hmmm. I was just thinking (I know....very dangerous)....I was just reading the best all around mic for beginners thread, and it sparked a question. Should I get a sm57 with a decent pre-amp or a middle range nicer mic with a cheap pre-amp? any suggestions?

Guardian, the self noise on the C1 is not significant, especially for someone
with powerful vocals. Take this from someone with VERY fussy ears about
his vocals!

mgiles, you will notice better fidelity with a fine condenser, like the C1 or
C3, with a decent (or better) mic pre. Condensers reproduce the
higher frequencies in your voice better than a dynamic (like the sm57).
If I was in a Rolling Stones tribute band, and was singing lead I'd grab
a SM58 or SM57 though-even for recording! It helps make a melodic
voice sound more "rock".

P.S. The Studio Projects mikes are very well made, on their website are
some reviews that talk about "build" too.

Back