Open Tunings

coolasvanillaic

Yo,

Does anyone here mess around with open tunings at all? I think they put a nice spin on guitar and help to change things up a little. When I get bored of messing around in standard, I usually go into open C or open G minor and it makes the guitar seem really fresh.

Peace,

Matt

I play open/alternate tunings almost exclusively. I've sort of gravitated towards tunings that evolve around D or G. Mainly because it's easier to build a set a around similar tunings and cut down tuning time between tunes and having to "jabber" while doing it. Anywho, a few my faves are:

DADGAD
DADF#AD
DGDGBD
DGDGAD
GBDGBD
DADDAD
EADEAE
Drop D

I'm a big fan of DADF#AD myself - also play in "Open G" sometimes, and have messed with the tuning that Jimmy Page used on Rain Song as well (just can't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Mind you that was after playing Rain Song for 20 years in standard tuning because that's what the Led Zep songbook told me it was in, complete with pictures. Boy was I pissed off when I found out how he really played it!

...here is one I stumbled onto by downloading mp3s...try the DADGAD "flat"...killer 2-finger chords...apparently jimmy page used it on rare 00' recording--no name on the song...I tabbed it out if anyone wants it.

Another great Jimmy Page alternate tuning tune is Bron Y Aur off of Physical Graffiti.

Back