oops...now what?

Son of Mixerman

Mix Junior
Suck-o-rama's ville 2003!:mad:

Has anyone had the following happen?

I bought a barebones p4 1.7 system and had a 60 gig hd added. I asked them to put the new hd as a slave and put 512 Mb of ram until I get out of 98se. I get my old WD 13 gig hardrive put in but Im wasn't getting power to it? So I turn it off and I swap a power connector. I figured since they q.c.'d the machine before it left their shop I wouldn't have to deal with things not working. Well, the power connector had a loose terminal in 2 of the connectors, so when I turned the machine on to verify power to the new hd, I got a nice bluish, white "pop" at the HD and all of a sudden the drive starts a weird noise. On top of that, the MB won't recognize it. It recognizes the old WD HD, but it won't boot(no surprise). Im hoping that the shop will just let me bring in the HD and swap it out for a new one. The problem sucks because your typical person won't do pull test on the PSU connectors because the PSU was q.c.'d before the shop recieved it. So I don't want this to become a blame game with the shop. Its something that happens to other right?

SoMm

Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the powersupply since it wasn't working on one connector, and then the other connector you tried toasted the hard drive. I've seen loose connectors stop a drive from powering up, but not toast it. So unless they were shorting out, I suspect a defective power supply. I've had this happen before, and the cause was the power supply. Cooked the hard drive instantly, afterwards, it would just go 'click'.... 'click'.... 'click'.

It didn't toast the rest of the machine though fortunately, so hopefully that will be the case for you as well. Although, that isn't really your concern. If you bought this machine new it still has a warranty, and the shop should honor that.

From the shop's perspective, they will RMA whatever doesn't function, and get credited or replacements from their suppliers.

Thanks Emeric. I hope they do honor the warranty.

The PSU is fine, its the metal terminals were not seated properly. Add to that, according to the internet that my HDD is known as the Deathstar?

IBM DeskStar IC35L060AVV207-0..

http://www.tech-report.com/news_reply.x/2799/

Was it IBM or the PSU power connector arcing?

Maybe by monday Ill havea functioning PC!

Thanks,
SoMm

Back