Ooh.. i've done my first mistake

Giampy Car

I hope it will be the last.... but it was my first experience in audio recording.
I'll try to explain the situation in few words:
Front side: Classical ensamble with choir and solo singers
Back side: Church organ
Available gears: 2 LDC + mixer + portable HD recorder
In this situation i decided to use the "spaced omni pair" configuration placed 3 mt behind the front ensamble because the precence of the church organ in the back side, but ( this pheraps was the mistake) the LDC's were setted into cardiod configuration to reduce the reverber issue.
Results?
The front side seems too distant and no so much dinamic of the bass frequencies (may be it depends from the proximity effect).
Strange to say but the organ was quite ok.
What do you think and suggest me for the next recording?
Any help will be very appreciate.
Thanks

Giampy Car said:
What do you think and suggest me for the next recording?
Be sure to bring a good pair of isolation headphones so you can hear what you're getting from the microphones.

If you have a big budget ribbon mics like Royer makes is excellent for classical. If you don't have a big budget I've had good luck with PZM mics for classical strings.

I would consider using more mics. Place the choir in a place to minimize the bleed between the mics and stereo mic the organ, stereo mic the ensamble, and stereo mic the choir. I would also put a solo mic up and try to get the soloists to step up to it during their solos if possible. Unfortunately there are so many variables when recording live that you really need to be creative to make the best of sometime less than perfect situations. If all these mics/tracks are not available to you, begin the process of what is most important and try to balance mics appropriately. All of these things tracked with just 2 mics is going to be incredibly difficult, not impossible, but very difficult.

Good luck

Thanks folks for your replies.
I woluld like to explin you what will be the situation for the next recording.
I plan to use several mics intead of 2 due to the reason explained by Starch.
The available gears will be:
a- 2 LDC already used in the last recording that i wanna place in ORTF configuration close as much as possible to the conductor to pick up both ensable and choir
b- 1 SDC stereo mic to be used for the organ or for whatever you'll suggest me. Pheraps i can use it for the choir and the LDCs for the ensable.
c- 2 Dinamic mic. One for the soloist, the other i've not yet decided.
May be we will use electronic piano and organ, in this case i will put them directly into the mixer.
PLease give me your impressions.
Thanx a lot

Back