Onyx mixers with automated faders?

Neito

Pouty-face
Hi guys.
Do the Mackie Onyx mixers have automated faders? Just curious, if I get one, if I'll have to get a control surface too in order to do MIDI stuff.

The Onyx mixers do not have automated faders. They are analog mixers, and will not work as a control surface.

Tascam makes a digital mixer that can be used as a control surface, the DM-3200. Their older DM-24 can be used that way as well, but you'd have to buy it used.

Perhaps something like a Yamaha O1x would be suitable?

I have a yamaha O1V96 v2. It works very well as a control surface, much better than most dedicated control surfaces even do. It also has decent clean preamps and EQ, and excellent built in effects as well as a top notch console editor.

Why do you want automated faders? Doesn't your software do this for you? If you want an automated control surface, check out the Mackie control.

I was hoping I'd be able to get something that would act as both a firewire interface and as a control surface, just to minimize the amount of stuff I have to lug with me to sessions, etc. I've been looking at both the Tascam and Yamaha models, but I'm not sure the Yamaha has firewire capability.

If there isn't one out there, they should make it.

EDIT: Looks like the Tascam has firewire capability with a seperate card. Boy, it has a price tag on it, though.

Back