Onyx 1640 and click

puffin

Dudes,

I'm interested in purchasing the Mackie onyx 1640 for studio recording to be used in conjunction with a laptop with the firewire option.

I have been reading up on the onyx 1640 and while I realise it's used mainly for live recordings, the 16 channels would come in handy in the studio. One thing I can't figure out is how I would be able to use a click trac from cubase or rewired from reason through this mixer.

If I were using sends 5 + 6 to make a monitor mix to the studio headphones, how would I route the click track from cubase if the only outs available from cubase would be the LR mix through the firewire?

Can someone please explain how this works?

Cheers,

Dudes,

I'm interested in purchasing the Mackie onyx 1640 for studio recording to be used in conjunction with a laptop with the firewire option.

I have been reading up on the onyx 1640 and while I realise it's used mainly for live recordings, the 16 channels would come in handy in the studio. One thing I can't figure out is how I would be able to use a click trac from cubase or rewired from reason through this mixer.

If I were using sends 5 + 6 to make a monitor mix to the studio headphones, how would I route the click track from cubase if the only outs available from cubase would be the LR mix through the firewire?

Can someone please explain how this works?

Cheers,
I believe you can only send a stereo signal back to mixer via firewire from any software be it Reason or Cubase. So, I dont think you can do it the way you are asking. I would record click first into software, then as tracks are recorded use that click. Unless I'm missing something..

I believe you can only send a stereo signal back to mixer via firewire from any software be it Reason or Cubase. So, I dont think you can do it the way you are asking. I would record click first into software, then as tracks are recorded use that click. Unless I'm missing something..

Yeah, if you want that kind of integration get a Yamaha N12. Plus you'll be getting much better A/D/DA than the Mackie Firewire card.

the only outs available from cubase would be the LR mix through the firewire

Are you sure about that? I don't have one of these devices myself....but that would be totally lame if their firewire drivers only support a main mix out. Did you read that in the Onyx manual or what?

On every firewire device I've ever used, you can assign whatever you can dream up to any port on the device through the VST connections in Cubase. To do what you want to do, you would just set up an output bus in VST connections and connect it to send 5 and 6, and then add an FX track in your project, and set it's output bus to the one you just set up in VST connections. Then you could control exactly how much of what goes to your monitor mix, and you can "enable click" on each output bus through the VST connections dialog box, also....but of course, that is all assuming that Mackie's drivers for their firewire implementation aren't crippled to using only the main outs.

Have you heard a N12?

Well, yes and no. I heard a recording that one was used. I was not impressed at all. Reminded me of the O2r Pre's (of which I have 2 of those consoles). Could be the engineer but for me they were very flat. Again, very well could have been operator. I have been very happy with my Onyx pre's for live gigs in clubs. So from what I've heard I wasnt nuts about them.

Well, yes and no. I heard a recording that one was used. I was not impressed at all. Reminded me of the O2r Pre's (of which I have 2 of those consoles). Could be the engineer but for me they were very flat. Again, very well could have been operator. I have been very happy with my Onyx pre's for live gigs in clubs. So from what I've heard I wasnt nuts about them.

The N12 pre's are the best Yamaha has ever built.

As we know pre's are always subjective.

There are some pro's (pro as defined by guys doing major label work) who are real impressed with the N12's. There's a long thread over at Gearslutz about the n Series.

The N12 pre's are the best Yamaha has ever built.

As we know pre's are always subjective.

There are some pro's (pro as defined by guys doing major label work) who are real impressed with the N12's. There's a long thread over at Gearslutz about the n Series.

Yeah, I know what your are saying but remember....they all raved about the
o2r when it came out! Mostly after the James Taylor album Hour Glass. But yeah, mic pre's....sheezz all different opinions. So you really like the? I'd like to try them!:) It would be interesting.

Yeah, I know what your are saying but remember....they all raved about the
o2r when it came out! Mostly after the James Taylor album Hour Glass. But yeah, mic pre's....sheezz all different opinions. So you really like the? I'd like to try them!:) It would be interesting.

If your ever in the Utah area let me know.

Well, you'll have a CONTROL ROOM output and a separate HEADPHONE output. When your audio device is set to Onyx ASIO it will playback whatever is in your DAW through the outputs. So if you enable the click on your program, you should be able to hear it.

Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty sure I read that you only get a stereo mix back from the DAW. If this is the case, isn't that just the same as only having two outs? How would I send the headphone mix from the PC? I'd have to send it from the desk. In terms of the click, I would want to send it pre fader to the headphones from the pc, but I only have the main mix to route it to.

I don't get it... although it is possible I'm a complete dufus... :o

I've been looking around and checked out the N12 in a local music shop today. Looks interesting, but I have been eyeing up the allen and heath ZED420. Requires further investigation, though.

Any thoughts on their pre's would be welcome....

You can definitely only get the stereo mix out from the DAW with the Onyx. once you turn the click on inside the software to where it is monitored out, you should be able to route it on the board though to where you can have it go to whatever output you have going to your musicians. Hardware wise the Onyx has tons of flexibility. And I do love the pre's, and think it is killer as a live board.

Back