Only had Mr-8 for 6 months and it's already damaged....

Ginuwine

dam..and I threw away all the stuff that was included wit it..and I don't even know if it has a warranty or not..
One of the tracks and the rewind button are not functioning..
man i got ripped off..

you could email fostex from their site.

Is it 2 buttons not working? one for rewind and one for a track seletcion?

the fostex site should have warrantee period. I don't have the info handy, maybe someone else does.

If warrantee is up, you could shoot some tuner cleaner in it after you open it up, or if you're in a dusty enviroment see if yo ucan vaccuum it out w/ out dissassembly. hold vac just above the controls that are not responding it should be able to suck out dust.

I had to do that with drum machine pads a lot and it helped.

I'm interested in how you make out wid it, since i have one.

If you bought it retail & have the reciept,...

then it should be only a minor bit of wrangling and persuading of the store manager & personnel to replace this out-of-box unit with an in-store swapout replacement.

Failing this, then there's Fostex factory service, of which you will have to post the MR8 to Fostex, & they should fix or replace & ship back on their dime. The MR8, if it follows the normal gear warranties you'd commonly see, should have a full one year warranty that covers everything.

I'd go to the retail outlet first,... online outlets a bit more difficult,... and last-ditch call Fostex directly.

Good luck!

junplugged said:
you could email fostex from their site.

Is it 2 buttons not working? one for rewind and one for a track seletcion?

the fostex site should have warrantee period. I don't have the info handy, maybe someone else does.

If warrantee is up, you could shoot some tuner cleaner in it after you open it up, or if you're in a dusty enviroment see if yo ucan vaccuum it out w/ out dissassembly. hold vac just above the controls that are not responding it should be able to suck out dust.

I had to do that with drum machine pads a lot and it helped.

I'm interested in how you make out wid it, since i have one.

Yep two buttons not working, rewind and one track.
I vaccumed the dust out, still didn't work. If it does have a warrantee, do I need to show em some kind of receipt? I bought this recorder from musiciansfriend, and I already threw away the package slip.

Re: If you bought it retail & have the reciept,...

A Reel Person said:
then it should be only a minor bit of wrangling and persuading of the store manager & personnel to replace this out-of-box unit with an in-store swapout replacement.

Failing this, then there's Fostex factory service, of which you will have to post the MR8 to Fostex, & they should fix or replace & ship back on their dime. The MR8, if it follows the normal gear warranties you'd commonly see, should have a full one year warranty that covers everything.

I'd go to the retail outlet first,... online outlets a bit more difficult,... and last-ditch call Fostex directly.

Good luck!

i would take it for service but the package slip where i bought this fostex from was thrown away.

mf

ive always had great luck with musicians friend. Did you use a credit card or check, either would probably be sufficient for a repair under warrenty. Did you send in the warranty registration?

i used visa card...
man..the thing is i threw away everything that was in the package except for the manual.

Musicians Friend let me keep some monitors that were not working properly until I received the new pair they sent. I believe you need to contact them through customer service on their website and see what they say.
If you have not been billed for it on your credit card you can call your card company to stop payment.

I think he said it was 6 mo. ago, if you don't have your credit card bill, then you might be able to get the bill on-line and print it out... Anyway, MF should have your info.

MF did take an order back from me once, it was just not the right stuff, I was impressed. I still order from them, especially when their strings are on sale, I just was in a store today an my stirings were $7, but I got em on sale once at MF for $3.50 anyway, GL w/ it.

If you have to ship it, it's light and small so it shouldn't be much $.

Ginuwine said:
dam..and I threw away all the stuff that was included wit it..and I don't even know if it has a warranty or not..
One of the tracks and the rewind button are not functioning..
man i got ripped off..
Which should be a lesson for all of us. When one buys this sort of thing, why not take all the paperwork and put them in a manilla envelope, write on the outside what it is, and put it away, in a closet, dresser drawer, where ever is easy to remember. Then, when something like this happens, at least you know the stuff is still available (coming from someone who has been in exactly the same position several times, and had to learn this the hard way).

For whatever it's worth, I always staple packing slips/receipts on the inside of the back cover of the owner's manual. Probably won't be much consolation, but if you're like me and rely on the instructions, it's a great way to keep track of the rest of the paperwork.

Back