Online sessions? Is this possible

farewellending

Hey,
I was wondering, is it possible through some means of recording equipment to have an online session (my singer and I on acoustic guitar) to play together online? Is this available yet?

Reaper (I think it's the same guy who wrote Ninjam) has it built in. http://www.reaper.fm.

So you can record over the internet as if you were in the same room together. Me & my friend do this a lot.

So you can record over the internet as if you were in the same room together. Me & my friend do this a lot.

Interesting, but what about network latency? Now I'm curious.

But it made me think anyway, what if you simultaneously recorded the track while on the phone. You'd need a headset, of course, but that might work. After, one sends their track to the other for mixing. :D

But it made me think anyway, what if you simultaneously recorded the track while on the phone. You'd need a headset, of course, but that might work. After, one sends their track to the other for mixing. :D

There's extreme latency. But the way the program deals with the latency is strange, yet pretty amazing. Nothing is out of time, it is synced when recording. So it doesn't sound like latency, but it's not real-time, if that makes any sense. :D

The ninjam DOES work, but it is not simultaneous recording. They overcome the latency problem by feeding each person a delayed version of the mix, off by a measure.

To jam in REAL time at even 16/44.1 resolution would require some serious bandwidth.

Yeah everyone is right on, I've been thinking about using reaper to do some projects actually.

In larger commercial studios, this is done often through ISDN connections, etc. So they can conforence call while a voice over is being done, and listen to what the engineering is listening too. It's pretty cool.

The ninjam DOES work, but it is not simultaneous recording. They overcome the latency problem by feeding each person a delayed version of the mix, off by a measure.

To jam in REAL time at even 16/44.1 resolution would require some serious bandwidth.

Depends on where you are, but if you are far away from each other, bandwidth is the easy part. The speed of light is the hard part.

The distance from New York to LA as the crow flies is speed of 2462 miles, which is a little over 13 milliseconds as a lower bound on the time it takes each way. So a round trip even if your computer had zero latency and you had a dedicated pair of fibers with high power transmitters and receivers that could do it with no repeaters on the way (yeah, right), you'd still have more than 26 milliseconds of latency. At that point, you're getting really close to the threshold of perception and you haven't even factored in the equipment on either end, repeaters along the way, etc.

Realistically, I have a very fast connection to the Internet backbone, and round trip from here in the SF Bay Area to the first hop in the NYC metro area is about 80 ms---a very noticeable delay....

The distance from New York to LA as the crow flies is speed of 2462 miles, which is a little over 13 milliseconds as a lower bound on the time it takes each way. So a round trip even if your computer had zero latency and you had a dedicated pair of fibers with high power transmitters and receivers that could do it with no repeaters on the way (yeah, right), you'd still have more than 26 milliseconds of latency. At that point, you're getting really close to the threshold of perception and you haven't even factored in the equipment on either end, repeaters along the way, etc.

That settles it. Someone needs to build a preamp with time travel capabilities. ;)

The trick is to lay down SOMETHING in one of your reaper projects first to represent absolute time. Then your stuff will be synced just fine.

Since we can never get enough drummers on Ninjam, a scratch drum track is the usual choice

Back