Online Marketing

malabor

Hey all!

Besides "MySpace" , what are some other good websites to post band information, mp3's, pics, etc.?

I know there must be some out there...I just don't know where.

Thanks!
-C

malabor said:
Hey all!

Besides "MySpace" , what are some other good websites to post band information, mp3's, pics, etc.?

Thanks!
-C

I like soundclick and garageband.com

malabor said:
Hey all!

Thanks!
-C

You could use SoundClick, NoWhereRadio, and post to various user groups (like Google Groups).

Also, you could also create a signature for all the message boards you post to.

You could also try to create your own web site.

snocap, which is affiliated with myspace now, lets you create an online music store and sell mp3's right off of your myspace page, if thats what youre interested in. look at my myspace to see how it looks, they merge the store into youre myspace music player and you can also post the store anywhere that allows html codes.

Thanks for the info...I'll check 'em out.

a27thletter, how do you do with the Snocap deal? Sell much? How do they split out the commission? It seems like a pretty slick deal.

Thanks all.

sales are pretty good through snocap, and they should get even better as they add more distributers,. i've sold more from making myspace bulletins than anything. The way they work is they add 45 cents to the price you set for each song, so basically, if you go by the standard of 99cents per download they get almost half. its still a great deal for having the luxury of them keeping up with your sales for you and all, and getting the store which you can post anywhere online.

1. SoundClick
  2. GarageBand.com
  3. NoWhereRadio
  4. MySpace
  5. PureVolume

Probably a lot more if you search on The Google

a27thletter said:
sales are pretty good through snocap, and they should get even better as they add more distributers,. i've sold more from making myspace bulletins than anything. The way they work is they add 45 cents to the price you set for each song, so basically, if you go by the standard of 99cents per download they get almost half. its still a great deal for having the luxury of them keeping up with your sales for you and all, and getting the store which you can post anywhere online.

I would NEVER go for that. They taking half of MY money is way out of the line. That's way too much regardless of how you look at it like. I rather sell them myself online, and keep most of it than to give someone else half for some automated computer system to count my money for me. I would not go higher than 10 cents to 14 cents per track. However, if your racking in the cash, go for it.

Mindset said:
I would NEVER go for that. They taking half of MY money is way out of the line. That's way too much regardless of how you look at it like. I rather sell them myself online, and keep most of it than to give someone else half for some automated computer system to count my money for me. I would not go higher than 10 cents to 14 cents per track. However, if your racking in the cash, go for it.

I know CDBaby has a digital distribution thing. They have it where your songs will be put up on all the major digital distributors, and CDBaby only keeps 9% of the money. So if your track sold for $1 on iTunes, CDBaby would keep $0.09 and you would get $0.91.

Yeah, I'm waiting on conformation with Itunes or whatever I had to wait for :p and have yet tried CDbaby, but that's exactly the places that gives the artist more money than whatever they were using that took over half of the money. That's just ripping people off. Currently I'm going to go ahead and take a region or national distribution instead of only digital formats.

Mindset said:
Yeah, I'm waiting on conformation with Itunes or whatever I had to wait for :p and have yet tried CDbaby, but that's exactly the places that gives the artist more money than whatever they were using that took over half of the money. That's just ripping people off. Currently I'm going to go ahead and take a region or national distribution instead of only digital formats.

If you don't mind sacrificing $4 per CD, then you could probably use CD baby to do what you want.

I was actually going to go through www.oasiscd.com again for manufacturing and decent distribution which they offer some quality distribution & their manufacturing is top notch too.... Anyways, through them I would be able to do a lot of those things, including the CD baby BUT I would actually get a bigger cut going through oasis anyways. Also probably something like a 1 stop.

There are a bunch, but if myspace isn't doing it for you than you're just plain not working myspace. Or not playing out enough (depending on if you're in a band or not). It's all about numbers, and Myspace is one of the top 5 largest websites on earth. There are millions of users. How many have heard your music? How many "friends" do you have? If you really want to work it, you need to be adding people every day. Go to similar "hot" artists' myspaces, look at their friend list, start from the end (the newest users most open to new bands) and add every single one of them. You should be adding 10 pages a day. On the flip side, every single person that "friends" you, you should comment on their page thanking them for the add or whatever, along with something personalized like "how's the weather in Arizona" or "hope we can play there sometime", etc. Any body that messages or comments you, have real conversations with them.

Also, look as huge as you possibly can on your myspace. Get a promo picture that really looks slick. If the guys in your band are good-looking, put the "hottest" one front & center and make it your default pic. If they're ugly, get something else as your promo pic. To me, it doesn't matter why you hook people, as long as you do. Myspace is all about the "whole package": making great music isn't enough anymore. You've gotta give people everything: concert footage, well-mixed songs, good promo pics, bios (about your music, not about how many bassists you've had!), merch, etc. Then, myspace will start working for YOU! :)

Example: my band's page: www.myspace.com/everestband . We're just five dudes making sweet music, we don't have much of a draw anywhere yet (no time for touring), but we look huge, so we sell cd's & shirts & stuff.

I'm ranting, I'll shut up now, but I figured I'd give you some advice on myspace since you obviously want to get more well-known :)

Beyond that, use myspace as one of your tools, not your main & only way of marketing/advertising. I believe, that one should make their presence on the internet known, and then concentrate on what you really need to be doing instead of messaging people on myspace. Hit up the studios and places that are going down. Create yourself a contact list with well connected people just as you create a fan base. Nothing beats good ole fashion face to face contacts.

Hey Steve, if it's not a problem how much you pull in quarterly on myspace? or monthly. I'm just interested on how much myspace really helps.

Mindset said:
Beyond that, use myspace as one of your tools, not your main & only way of marketing/advertising. I believe, that one should make their presence on the internet known, and then concentrate on what you really need to be doing instead of messaging people on myspace. Hit up the studios and places that are going down. Create yourself a contact list with well connected people just as you create a fan base. Nothing beats good ole fashion face to face contacts.

Hey Steve, if it's not a problem how much you pull in quarterly on myspace? or monthly. I'm just interested on how much myspace really helps.

Totally totally agree man, and I forgot to mention that. It's easy to get sucked into the "myspace-only" vortex of band management/promotion! You really need to look at it as a tool, instead of a be-all-end-all to promotion.

I've never measured how much we pull in quarterly/anually: a better analysis is that for every 150-200 or so friends added, we sell another cd or shirt. It seems pretty consistently true.

Fantastic! You guys have really helped. We just finished up photo shoot and we should have some of the pictures up very soon. Our singer, Sanja, is smokin' hot so of course she's in the front!

Thanks again all...I'll let you know how it goes!

-C

Back