Online Demo Singers-- Safe?

BudgetBeast

Hello,
I'm wondering if it's safe to hire online demo singers? I'm looking to record a 3 song demo for the ASCAP music expo
taking place next year and have found several demo singers online who sound great and who fit the sound of the tracks
I have. My concern is whether or not it's safe to hire them online. Also, if I go the online hire route, do I need to have the
demo singer sign a work-for-hire agreement or some other type of documentation in advance ensuring the safety of my tracks?

Please write back when you have a chance. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Regards,
BudgetBeast

You might contact the Musician's Union in Nashiville, TN. They could put you in contact with legitimate people. Also some of the larger publishing companies there could probably help you. If you still need help PM me and I'll see what I can do for. Some of the studio managers at some of the bigger studios could also probably help you. Good luck!

xplozivetoyz- i'm looking for young voices i.e. stuff that's radio friendly. do you know if the musicians' union has such singers in their union?

also, what kind of money can i expect to spend per song for a 3 song demo including the payment for the singers?

is it possible to send a rough recording with lyric sheets and charts of what chords i am playing to someone and have them replace my
voice on the rough recording with a proper recording with a proper demo singer? and if so, what's it cost ball park?

please write back when you have a chance.

thanks!

budgetbeast

I'm sure that they can at least put you in touch with with someone who can assist you with your request. When I lived in Nashville twenty years ago the going rate was $50.00 per song for a singer. It's probably around the same now, or just a little more. You will find a wide variety of singers and styles available. I'd venture to say that Nashville probably more great singers per capita than any other city in the US, possibly the world. Call information and find out the number of a studio there called County Q. Everyone cuts demos there because of the great quality and the price. For $500.00 you can get a full blown recording of three songs recorded by some of the better studio cats in Nashville. All they'll need is just a rough recording(acoustic guitar/vocal) and a lyric sheet. They can also find you a singer. Hope this helps. If you need more help PM me. Good luck!

I've always thought if I was looking for a demo singer I might hang out at a busy karaoke joint and see what kind of talent shows up. Most have more enthusiasm than talent but once in a while you hear someone really good.

That's certainly a thought, but when you're dealing with high dollar studios and musicians, time is money. You want someone who will nail it in one or two takes without a bunch of punch in/punch outs. Which is why preproduction and preparedness is so important for bands/singers/songwriters thinking of recording in a commercial studio. You could most likely find the occasional diamond in the rough at a karaoke bar, but you would have to make sure they were prepared when you took them to a studio.

Karaoke singers? lol... In this day of internet, surely you can find a professional demo singer online in a few minutes.

It was a theoretical question. Not something I'd do, or want to do, but something that theoretically could happen.

I believe what is noted above, that said no matter who you go with, use a good contract to head off trouble down the road. If you don't you may wind up with a partner you never intended to have when it comes to the payout. IMHO

Can you write out sheet music or sing the songs coherently-enough to file a copyright before you hire a musician? If you've got a copyright filed on the songs, there's not much a singer could do to steal the song.

I was browsing the Nashville musician's union site a few days ago. I got the impression that most sessions were charged by the hour. (With the rate for non "leader" musicians being $200 for 3 hours).

Legally a song becomes copyrighted at the moment of creation. Just a barebones recording onto a cassette is good enough to get your copyright. And what you read is completely true, and is the precise reason people go to County Q to record. The musicians there are all members of the union, but are all working,"off the books!" LOL! Kind of a joke around Nashville.

The musicians there are all members of the union, but are all working,"off the books!" LOL! Kind of a joke around Nashville.

What?! An industry with no real oversight or regulation, where everyone is notoriously underpaid, where everyone from the execs to the customers is trying to scam everyone else, and where the most visibly successful participants have no union ties... *breath* That industry has issues with scab work? I am shocked!

What?! An industry with no real oversight or regulation, where everyone is notoriously underpaid, where everyone from the execs to the customers is trying to scam everyone else, and where the most visibly successful participants have no union ties... *breath* That industry has issues with scab work? I am shocked!
Yup. All thats left is for the government to start regulating it.

i have a website voxmytrax .com . you could post your tracks on there and someone might do some vocals.. n that wouldnt cost you anything either.

Back