Onkyo TA-W100 cassette deck trouble. Please help!

dpp1811

So I just bought a used Onkyo TA-W100 for $30 so I can put my album onto cassette. It plays fine! Motor seems good and the belts seem good, too. It also seems like it can detect when no sound is coming through, because it'll stop any of my blank tapes while they're playing after a few seconds. I'm assuming it's to prevent from wearing out the motor, or something like that.

However, the recording feature isn't working, which is the sole reason I got this. I have tape over the tabs on my blank cassettes, so I know that isn't the problem. I try just recording through the line-in, and it stops as if it were in Play Mode and the tape is blank. I try dubbing from deck A to deck B, same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

It also seems like it can detect when no sound is coming through, because it'll stop any of my blank tapes while they're playing after a few seconds.

Unless there's a "music detection" system that senses the silence between songs, a cassette deck won't be able to activate the transport in response to signal on the tape. If the transport stops there's probably something physically wrong with it.

Back