One Track Post Production?

fluffy13

Hi guys.
So far, to record multiple instruments at once I've just ran them all into a cheap PA head, which compresses them all into a single track. I am working on fixing this via an audio interface but for the mean time do you guys have any tips on getting the stuff I've recorded on the single track to sound less muddy? Most of the time it is just guitar and drums. So far I've tried doubling the track and putting high and low end filters on each, to varying success. Do you guys have any other techniques for this?
Thanks in advance

A common technique is to use a parametric eq with one filter turned way up at a moderate Q and sweep the frequency around until you hear something grungy, adjust the Q to home in on the grunge, then cut that frequency as needed. Repeat as needed with more filters.

There's really not much you can do once those tracks are mixed like that, you can try eq'ing but unless it's already somewhat close (which it doesn't sound like it is) then it's not going to get much better (and could end up worse).

Back