One SDC For Acoustic Guitar Suggestions? (Folk/Country/Americana)

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for one sdc under $500 to get a fairly similar sound for acoustic guitar like "Miss You With Me" by the Randy Rogers Band. My style of playing is similar as well as the style of music. Tracks will have acoustic guitar, cajon, shaker, tambourine, vox and some fiddle.

Using a ksm313 for the room sound but want something on the 12th fret. Playing a j-45 thru an la-610. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Also should say that I'm looking at the C451B and the SM81 at the moment. Any others I should consider in this price range? I really like a vintage vibe.

Look no further than the AKG C451EB you're considering. Best acoustic guitar mic ever and useful for a ton of other things as well. If you shop hard and can find a pair of second hand ones to record in stereo, even better.

Thanks for the responses. MS, I was considering that but really need something I can pick up for this weekend so it will have to be a mic I can grab in one of the music stores here. Bobbsy, what's your opinion of the sm81 in relation to the akg?

In my opinion, the 451 is streets ahead of the SM81. Even though the AKG is an older design (though not as old as things like the SM58 :) ) it's a real classic. In Europe and the UK where I spent most of my working life, the 451 was a main workhorse in sound, TV and radio studios plus also for live work.

It's a versatile mic...I use mine (I have 5) for everything from drum overheads to X-Y pairing for choirs and orchestras...but I find they really are at their best on acoustic guitar.

Put it this way...I have five 451s but have tried the SM81 and didn't bother buying any.

Thanks Bobbsy. I pulled the trigger on one today. Unfortunately I couldnt find any in the city so have to wait till Tuesday to be shipped from another location...looking forward to it.

Hope you love it as much as I do! Did you get the new "solid" design or a second hand one of the type I have with screw-on interchangeable capsules?

And I just wanted to say thanks on the real to both you guys. I may not be here as much as I used to but I so much appreciate being able to get solid advice from the long term members on this site whenever needed. Many of my purchases and knowledge I have attained have been based on the responses here so again I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Ps. If either of you are ever visiting Ottawa Canada, let me know and I guarantee you beers are on me.

Careful what you offer. My brother lives in Ottawa--last visited him in 2009 so another trip is overdue!

Edited to add: Can we throw in a beaver tail or two? Was much impressed by those on my last visit! :)

Back