One of These Days - new original

Cymbals issue didn't bother me in the slightest. Guitars are dominant but not to the detriment of song...vocals sound a touch boxy to my ears and might benefit from some tinkering.

Mark

Hey Chili. Just took a listen through a few times...

I'm listening on phones through a laptop, so not ideal, but I can hear some aspects clearly enough. It's a solid track. Reminds me of your older work, only tighter and slightly more polished sounding. I like the way you processed your voice.

I can hear the cymbals, but am not wild about their tone. At least through my phones, they sound awfully faint and thin. Also, when they get busy like between 1:10 > 1:27 and again at 2:11 > 2:28, I found them distracting in terms of the rhythm and panning. I'd recommend simplifying them at those points myself.

Also, I am detecting some weird, very brief volume swells in the mix - listen at 1:05 and 1:52 for example...do you hear that? Just a brief uptick or swell in the volume that only lasts a second. It happens periodically after that. Could be on my end I guess, but they occurred at the same moment on each listen. Check it out...maybe it's just me?

Thanks guys. I can look into those things. I really like this song, one of my favorites, so want to get it right.

I ran the vocal track through a distortion plug to get some more grit in there. Kinda like how it came out and I'm thinking I'm going to leave it alone. Might be what mac says is boxy.

Good to hear the guitar tracks are okay.

When I solo the drums, I can hear the cymbals, just not in the mix. I'll take a look at those busy parts and tame them down.
Didn't hear any swells, but will go looking for them.

:)

I liked the guitar tones and harmonies from the getgo. A little bit Billy Gibbonesque. Interesting how the vocals have a bandlimited/bullhorn type effect when they first come in and the ear adjusts and you don't notice it. Cymbals sound fine here, not intrusive at all. I like the ride treatment. Good jam

I liked the guitar tones and harmonies from the getgo. A little bit Billy Gibbonesque. Interesting how the vocals have a bandlimited/bullhorn type effect when they first come in and the ear adjusts and you don't notice it. Cymbals sound fine here, not intrusive at all. I like the ride treatment. Good jam

The 1st thing I thought was this sounds like Texas, ZZ Top........but I did just watch the ZZ Top rocumentary on Netflix.......

I could hear everything fine. Played it on my large stereo. My only not would be the vocals could be less muddy sounding.

Once again, great playing. I liked the the song, good lyrics, good vibe, good stuff.

Cool. Thnx for the feedback. I don't mind bumping the hihats a smidge. Better for me and if the mix can handle it...

Heat, I didn't hear any swells. There was a little more emphasis due to guits, bass and kick hitting the same note. I remember Armistice had an issue a while back where he was listening to tunes and hearing compressor swells where there weren't any. Turns out, it was a feature of on his laptop doing its own limiting compression.

Billy Gibbons and ZZ Top? I don't mind that reference. We do a few ZZ songs in my classic rock band so I can see the connection.

The vocal went through a distortion plug. I like it and will probably leave it as is. Thnx though!! :)

I'll probably look at this later today. Ugh, this whole isolation thing has got me so busy. lol :D

Heat, I didn't hear any swells. There was a little more emphasis due to guits, bass and kick hitting the same note. I remember Armistice had an issue a while back where he was listening to tunes and hearing compressor swells where there weren't any. Turns out, it was a feature of on his laptop doing its own limiting compression.

Sorry! I bet it is my laptop then.

I just listened through my studio phones on my iPhone and sure enough...no swells. Sorry for the wild goose chase there. Hope you didn't invest too much time hunting them down.

Sounds pretty good. I definitely hear the ZZ/Gibbons vibe that has been mentioned previously. Only thing I would say is there could be a bit more cymbals, but that could just be me - my hearing ain't what it used to be...Nice work - cool tune.

- my hearing ain't what it used to be..
Welcome to the club. :(

Thanks for the comments. I made some tweaks last night and will do some more tonight. I can hit the cymbals and hihats a little.

Thanks man.

really like your guitar tone, whatcha using? Very cool tune , engaged me from the start , I like the cymbals during chorus. Cool change up for guitar solo around 3:00 mark!!! Love the vocals both performance and sound, dig that little distorted vibe. Rocking song !!

Thanks Strat and FairWarning (missed you earlier).

I used a UAD amp sim plug called Diezel with a tele for the two guitar tracks. The two tracks used different channels on the amp and pickups on the guitar. Gotta say, I used presets on the amp sim. I didn't need to fidget with them at all except maybe master volume to keep from clipping. The plug sounds frikkin awesome.

Thanks again.

I think it sounds pretty damn good as is. My only two crits, I think the kick is a little lackluster, could use a little more bite and low end. and second, that guitar intro could be cut in half...break into the full band quicker! Great job!

the intro seemed weak to me, its too far in the back...but its ART?

when the band comes in it goes up several levels to better, imo.

I watch my needles and notice you haven't got the Loudness Wars thing going as my needles aren't pegged with even the current "red led's " blink into the red 30% room which is now being used in the Loudness Wars.

Actually its refreshing to see the needles moving and the red led's aren't blinking.
Ive got plenty of room on my amp volume knob to turn it up too.

the placement of the parts seem to keep it with clarity. so all the "players" sound good, the bass rides with the drums well and they don't seem to be fighting for space....the guitar players split up is great mix too imo.
Vocals are fine and fit in it well, glued in just right …

my wooden nickel of input. :eatpopcorn:

I like the guitars... but I'm a totally biased guitar guy. Lyrics are great! Your singing is great too. You're right about the cymbals, and all the trebly drum stuff is subdued. But I think you'd have to mellow the guitars to hear them more? Since they're both high frequency?

Really cool guitar riff, that stutter really makes the riff unique. Vocals sound great, and the performance has attitude. Jam section is nice...The mix sounds very honest sounding to me, sounds like a band doing a good performace of the tune. The guitar on the left is a bit spikey imo, but the angular type sound fits the riff fits the song. Reminds me capt beefheart a bit in his blusier moments, and thats a compliment : ). I was hearing overblown production, that i wouldn't know how to do, that might really enhance the impact of the song to some, but i really like the sound/feel as is also. Cool tune.

Koubee and Strat. Thanks for the nice comments. Appreciated.

(...and welcome to the site Koubee!!)

Back