One Of The Hardest Songs I Have Tried To Mix, Ideas WELCOME!!!!!

jjinvegas

Probably one of the things that makes it hard is that it is a hybrid of several styles and textures, and getting them to sort of hang together as one thing is part of the difficulty. The other is my fault as the arranger, there are real competing frequencies between the synth jaw harp, mandolin, and acoustic guitar, with Nashville tuning. I like the dialogue between them but they are all working the same frequency range.....

Attachments

• The Wake Of Harley Oakum--William Tr.mp3
    5.9 MB · Views: 16
I think this is a fantastic song and well arranged. Is it original? (Bravo if so!) I get a little ear fatigue listening though, I think maybe there's some limiting on it or something? I might take the more mastery stuff off (if that is what I'm hearing) and see what the plain mix sounds like.

Same reaction here. Sounds midrangy in a way that's bit grating. If if it were my tune, I'd work to open up the mix and create a more natural sound, with more bass. For example the guitar/hat backbeat in the part that begins around 2:50. It's a harsh sound, pushes me away from the song as a listener.

I agree with Easlern, it's a great composition. Love the vocals.

Last edited:
Back