One mic to do it all (within reason)

McTossa

Hi, I'm a studio owner and am finally moving my studio from my home. I plan to replace my studio with a small hard drive for my own home recording purposes. I'll probably end up with a Korg D1600. Anyhow, my question is which mic would you guys recommend for light percussion, acoustic guitar and vocals. Possibly micing up a leslie cabinet or two also. I plan to do any drums I might have using the Drum Components discs for Acid. Electric guitar and what not will be done through a POD. Is there one mic that you think could handle a wide range of jobs. My entire studio will be crammed into my old control room so I don't have alot of space and wanted to get one mic to handle everything. I was hoping for something around the $500 range. Thanks in advance.

I know you said one mic, but I have to say an AT4033 and a SM57.....under $500.....maybe enough left over for cords.....Ive based my recommendation on the Ed Rei school of thought.....

...and sticking with the Ed Rei school of thought, get yourself an Art Tube pre if you dont have one already....

Thanks. I already have a 4033 and a 57, But they are going with the studio. I should be able to keep a 57, but we only have one 4033. I'm kinda bowing out of recording other bands and my associate (whose going to continue at the new location) gets more and more angry every time I say--"By the way, I'm keeping (insert piece of gear) at the house." I bought the studio as a personal one and the next thing I know we got a line a mile long to record. It's not a whole lotta fun for a Johnny Cash fan to be recording third generation limp bizket rip-offs. Maybe, I'll buy another one. Thanks for the input.

Hey, Cincinnati! Where?

I, too, have a 4033 and some 57's. Two good additions for me were a set of AKG c1000's and an Apex 430. I think I want to really save up for my next mic and get a Neumann U89. That'll be a while.

H2H

We had the studio in my house on the West side. We did the latest releases from Bagg, Readymaid, Black Magic Rhythm All Stars, Man-E-Taboada, Hoodwink, Tornado Green, and were just wrapping up on the upcoming release for Son River. We plan to work on the new Black Magic Rhythm Allstars and Bagg albums over the summer. There's a soundguy named Chris Schmidt (Sting is his nickname, runs at the MadFrog 90% of the time) who will continue to work with it. I'm just burned out and wanna record my own stuff. I play in Bagg but sometimes I just wanna do some quieter type stuff. Every mic you guys recommend I already got, but it's going to the studio. i.e. 4033, and 2 c100's. I just want one or two workhorses to keep at the house. Whats the general opinion on those Marshall mics. I heard a few good things, and than......nothing.

If you're looking at the Marshalls, listen to the Apex430. It is large diaphragm and I have used it on almost everything. I really like it for vocals. MARS at TriCounty has it packaged with a TubeMP and shock mount for under 2 bills.

I'm up near Loveland, BTW. Not exactly "in" cincy, but hey...who knows Loveland??

H2H

hello McTossa,

since you're looking in the $500 range, maybe consider an AT4050. it's similar to an AT4033 but with two more patterns: Omni and FO8. if your looking for versatility, this mic will cover a large range of uses. it's a bit more than $500, but with the multi-patterns, maybe this will fit the bill.

regards,
-kp-:)

My Choice would be an AKG C414. I have seen used ones for about $500.00. With this microphone you can switch from cardioid, hyper-cordioid, omni, and figure-eight patterns. You also get 3 different pad settings, 0db, 10db, and 20db. On top of that you also get a low frequency roll of switch that gives you a shelf at 0Hz, 75Hz, and 150Hz. With all these options you can usually find something to work for that particular situation.

Andy

Tough decision, McTossa. My take is a little different than anybody elses so far. I would go for a lot more different flavors. No one mic works best for everything - at any price. I'd go for a bunch of good cheapies. Maybe a Marshall V67G, a couple of their 603s, a Shure 57 or two (used), and a wild card, like a few pawnshop or garage sale mics.

That should cover a lot of different situations and you'll learn how to choose the right mic for different things as you go. Limiting yourself to one mic is NOT a good idea, IMHO. Even a classic Neumann U47 or Telefunken ELA M251 is not always the right mic for acoustic guitar or many vocals. With a few mics in your locker, you at least have some choices.

I think all the above replies are right on the money...just kinda depends. I lean towards the 57/4033 combo...or the re20/VG67...at least two mics. I have all the above mics, and they are all very good ones to have.

I have a curious thought, however. Since it seems you are bowing out of your pro setup, why would you have questions what to use at home? In your pro studio setup, did not you see that only one *miracle* mic was not the answer? It seems you would know what mic favors your vocals and guitar the best already. Anyway...good luck with your decisions.....which should be the 57 and 4033, btw!!!

I tend to not pay a whole lot of attention to new products cuz I was happy with the recordings we were doing. I'm the sole financier of this little studio and if something was working fine, I tended not to worry about it or shop for a replacement. This kinda results in a bit of ignorance concerning gear that was released within the last year or so. The setup was originally gonna be my home setup but the oppurtunity to get some money back on my investment arose and I decided to act on it. I was just curious if some mic had come out recently that really made an impact. I own 4 57s, 1 4033, 2 C1000s, and a D112. Every one of em (except maybe a 57) will be going to the studio. I wanna make a compact studio in my home which I can record on with a minimum of cables/mics/shit. Basically a place where I can put down ideas and if the tune warrants, I'll go down and record at the nicer studio. Do any of you guys find the 4033 kinda harsh, a bit bright? My setup will be a Korg D1600, a dbx 166xl compressor/gate, and a dbx 386 tube preamp. I'll monitor on Mackie HR824s. Maybe a few external effects and the mic(s) in question. Thats pretty much it. I'm shooting for small but functional in a way I'm comfortable. i.e.-not on a computer.

Yet another alternative...

THere's a mic that's been getting a lot of good press over at the cakewalk newsgroup, from Pete Leoini, and Ted Perlman, two of the pros that frequent the group.

It's called the Project Studios C1. I know its been siad about other mics, but they swear that its "identical" sonically to the nueman u87. It goes for about $200 (its another one of those chinese mics). They're just beginning to become readily available after the first shipments sold out.

Haven't tried one yet, but when I find one retail I plan on giving it a listen.

Back