One Last Time, Let's Go For a Ride

Scottgman

Legend in Own Mind
I finished tracking this song last weekend. This is the first mix. I am going to be re-tracking the bass guitar and am thinking about re-tracking some/all of the lead guitar. I'm really at a point where I need some feedback on the song. I've listened to it way too much in the last couple weeks and I need some other people's perspective. I'm not all that worried about the mix at this point but some comments on the tracking (does anything sound really bad?), arrangment, overall impressions, flaming insults, etc. would be extremely helpful.

"One Last Time"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3498&alid=-1

Hmmmmm

I may have missed somethin', and I'm hopin' I didn't, 'cause then I'd look like a complete moron.... But where do I find the music? I didn't notice a link, or any way to get to any music...

William :cool:

Nevermind, I see it now... Sorry about that... :o

Last edited:
Very Nice!

I'm not a professional by any means...... I have done some good recordings, and I have done some bad ones.... But I gotta say, according to my ears, this sounds really nice! The only thing I could think of (like I said, I'm no pro) is maybe the rhythm track (the guitar that's pickin') could come up a little because in some spots, when the distorted guitars is playin' those real melodic, soulful medleys, the rhythm track gets lost a little... Great job!

William :cool:

Oppps I did it again....

Scottgman said:
I'm not all that worried about the mix at this point but some comments on the tracking (does anything sound really bad?), arrangment, overall impressions, flaming insults, etc. would be extremely helpful.

What I commented on isn't at all what u were lookin' for... Sorry about that... I tend to jump the gun a little... lol

Its a good quality recording, and a ME could give it a home run status.:)

But ill tell ya.
This song and performance seems to go out of its way to have some sort of emotion.

Which means to me that it was sorta just contrived.
When i really feel something real. I feel like i want to cry or laugh or jump up and down with excitement.

This seems to want tohave a lot of decipherable and audible feel here in this song.
But Im not feelin a bit of it.

This is very good stuff. Like the vocals very much indeed. Thought there was too much drumming going on during the opening, quiter verse.

The guitar solo, in my view, doesn't fit at all, it's straight rock and there's much more subtle stuff going on with the singing and harmonies. Admittedly I'm not a big fan of guitar solos anyway, but this one seems particularly inappropriate. Maybe go for a bit less flash and a bit more feeling?

Otherwise, really excellent stuff - this is the kind of thing I would buy. Well done. The penguins have come out to show their approval :)

Thanks everybody! This is the kind of stuff I was wanting to hear.

WCSmitherman-- Thanks for the kind words and I will turn up that rhythm git in the final mix for sure!

xfinsterx-- yeah, I'm with you. I think I did go out of my way to try to give it emotion. Are you saying quit trying to force the song to be emotional or that there are parts that aren't emotional enough (vocals, lead guitar, etc.)? I thought maybe those reverse bends I'm doing on guitar might be too much in the "mood" department. Thanks for your comments. You've confirmed basically what I've been thinking to myself.

Garry Sharp-- I like our singer. She is so easy to work with. One or two takes and bam! Anyway, I think I agree with you on the drums but I'm not going to re-track-- too much work, I want to start another song. :o I'm not sure I really like any of the lead guitar work I did. I'm definitely going to re-track some of those licks and tighten them up, but I may end-up re-writing all the lead guitar stuff. Is your beef just with the main guitar solo or did you think the rest of the lead guitar stuff was over-the-top? Anyway, thanks for listening and commenting.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!

I like your singer too. On the subject of guitar, I was just listening to some BB King - he rarely plays anything especially complicated, but that feel, just so cool. Something along those lines would sit better, I think, would go very well with the vox.

Sounds like potential, but not quit there yet, to me at least :)

Big tip: the chorus needs to really jump up into your face. I need to feel like I'm beeing buried in emotion and that's just not getting to me now.
I would suggest listening to some Nickelback or Avril Lavigne. Even if you really hate that kind of music, they do know how to drop the bomb on you at the chorus (check out "Unwanted" by Avril Lavigne, verses are really held-back, and then when the chorus comes in, all the emotion comes loose).

Like I said, potential, could be great, but didn't tingle my spine just yet.

Now some tips on how to do that:
Make the guitars huge in the chorus, Linkin Park style even, if that's your thing.
Make the dynamic diffirence between the verses and the chorus bigger. Hold back in the verses in both the playing style and the volume control a bit more.
The drums could be a bit more vibrant if you ask me. Also, try double timing the crashes, or changing the crashes into open hi-hats and double timing those. If it where me, i'd make the drummer really go crazy during the chorus, alot more toms+snares.

Thanks Gary and Halion. Gary, I'm going to listen to some BB King. I love the way he plays. Maybe that will inspire me. Halion, thanks for the good suggestions. I think I will go for that "wall of guitars" sound on the chorus.

Hell, I don't want to re-track this thing. But you guys are right about the drums. I've been trying to convince myself the drums were good enough. It was literally the second time the drummer played this song and he was just trying to throw down a simple straight forward beat. He is certainly capable of doing something much more interesting. I'm sure he wants another shot at it anyway. Damn, I really hate re-tracking! The good news is I just got an RNP. I guess a new preamp is a good excuse to re-track some things.

Thanks for the help!

sounds kinda "roomy" to me and the drums don"t sound like a great set...kinda a garage recording sound. The guitars are kinda...kinda simplistic.

The best thing is the song, imo. Then the singing as the song progressed.

Great job! I like it. My main comment is the lead guitar, and the distorted guitar in general are a little on the buzzy side for my tastes. The lead is not as good as the rest of the tune. Some of the bends don't quite hit the note. The mix might be a little heavy on the upper mids, but not too bad. I can hear everything.

Thanks for listening, Rockerbob. Yeah, I've really been struggling with getting a guitar tone on tape that I really like. I've tried every mic placement I've ever read about or can think about. I've tried several different combinations of mics and I'm still not getting the sounds I want. I have a feeling I just need to take the plunge and get a high-end preamp. Dunno.

Yeah, the lead guitar was kind of written on the fly. You are right that some of the bends are flat. Oh well. It's retracking time!

Cheers!

hey,

i liked the intro. yep, the lead work is good. thet chorus lead guitar bit i like. although it got a little cliched during the solo bits. u know, like it wasn't interesting enough for the amount of time you dedicated towards it?

vocals were average. it took me a little while to figure out whether it was a guy or a chick (it's a chick right?). i didn't really like her voice much, she sounded rather bland to me, but she didn't make any mistakes.

however, i thought the melody and song itself was pretty boring. the lyrics didn't really do anything for me. i dunno, the chorus just really annoyed me. it just seemed too repetitive. the whole song seemed like that.

the drumming sounded good, felt right, fitted in with the song no problems.

this is just my personal experience of course, everyone else seemed to like it. maybe the song simply didn't agree with me.

Back