One for the Guitar Player

lkmuller

Hello All,

This is the first time in this clinic for me, and I feel like the lamb being led to slaughter, but here goes. I just posted a new song called "One for the Guitar Player" on my site at http://leemuller.iuma.com. I recorded a Takamine Hirade Concert HR5 directly into my computer using Cubase. The "band " is all midi.

I'm a real novice when it comes to mixing and/or audio editing and could use all the advice I can get. Will you please take a listen to my stuff and let me know how I can get better at it?

By the way, streaming the MP3 file will get you a better sound than streaming the real audio file. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks to all,

Lee Muller
http://leemuller.iuma.com

I can only listen to the RA-file.. and I wont bother to comment on that one... sounds like a radio put in water with loads of big fish in the way...

Too bad Meshuggah, the mp3's sound great!
Not bad at all for a canned accompaniment. Made me pick up my axe. How do you get around the copyright issues on posting your rendition of those standards?
I really like the sound of your fretting hand on that neck.
How did you mic the guitar? The squeaks sound real but not too intrusive to detract from the overall sound.
You definitely remind me of the guy that got me started on guitar way back when. He was a firefighter that had a studio in his basement and played some of these same tunes.
One quick nitpick- I know you didn't ask, but that triangle patch in Bossa for Andy: turn down the volume on that channel. It's right, just way too loud. Europa could really use some more feeling in the backup, especially the percussion. Most of the drum tracks could use more low end and the cymbal/hihat sounds just sound kind of hissy and nondescript.
I can't understand why, with your guitar chops you can't get some real players interested in playing backup. A real band behind you would sound awesome. If it's scheduling that's mucking up the works have you considered doing an internet collaboration?

ok.. got back home and had the time to d/l it and listen to it...

Subjective: ... I don't like this one... yuck!! ;-)

Objective: Very good guitarplaying/sound... well done.. The "canned" stuff sounds good x-ept the drums... totally dead, no life in it at all... (redundancy is my middle-name between my first and last name.. in the middl.. yeah..)

The overall-feel is that you're prolly pretty pleased with the outcome of this one. In my book, this "kind" of music sounds just like this, so I bet you did a great job. :D

Great guitar playing.. kudos!!

Hello Drstawl and Meshuggah,

Hey, thanks for taking the time to listen to my stuff! I really appreciate it. Drstawl, as far as the copyright issue goes, I don't know :-(. IUMA never mentioned anything about it when I submitted the music, but I imagine I'll eventually have to do something about it. I contacted the Harry Fox Agency but was unable to get a clear answer as to what I should do. I'm still working on that one.

I didn't mike the guitar at all. I just plugged straight into a Roland UA100, which is connected to my computer through the USB port. I actually try to get a good tone after I record by using the plugins I have with my Cubase. On this particular song I'm using a Waves Parametric EQ plugin for the guitar along with some reverb and chorus, some compression for the keyboards, and that's about it.

You're right about the drum tracks. That's a problem with these types of accompaniment programs. I still haven't gotten the EQ right yet. You're also right about the triangle on bossa for Andy. I listened to it after I read your post, and dang, it does sound loud. Thanks so much for the advice.

Meshuggah, greetings to Sweden from Hawaii! Thanks for your input too. Yep, you're right about the drums too. I gotta work on that some more. And you're actually right about me being pleased with this song, but I'm more pleased about the playing than the mixing, if you know what I mean. I thought the performance was good, but the recording needed a lot of work.

Well, Thanks again, you guys. I'll finish another tune in a few weeks or so, and I'll ask you to listen to it also. In the meantime, if there's anything you guys have posted that you want a critique on, let me know. I did check out Meshuggah's site on MP3.com, but was only able to get one of the tunes, because there were problems with the other two. I must say, I enjoyed your music, Meshuggah. I'm not sure what you would call it. Felt kind of like a Polka to me, but what do I know? Well, I enjoyed the beat anyway.

Thanks,

Lee Muller
http://leemuller.iuma.com

yup, get yourself some humans...either at home or on the internet.........great playing.....gibs

Nice.

The strings sound OK.

But yeah, the stuff said about the drums. MIDI/synthesized drums aren't really good for this type of music.

The guitar sounds nice. Maybe just a tad too wet for my taste though. Lacks some clarity. Just a little though.

Back