Once Went To Church

FunkDaddy

Just looking for commentts on whatever you wish to comment on! Production, songwriting, arrangement, etc. I know the vocals are a bit pitchy in spots, the harmonies in the chorus need work too. Still struggling with mixing drums on a fuller production like this.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7789621

Thanks for listening :)

"I know somebody that knows somebody who once went to church"
my sort of line, I like it a lot.
Not as big a fan of the last verse, you get a little Rodney King preachy (can't we all just get along?). I got the message before then, and it started to move into corny territory.
I hear the pitchiness on the vox, mostly on the high voc that comes in on the line "once went to church." Maybe pull that line back a little, cut it in the presence range (around 5khz, i think) to hide the pitchiness. I think if you get it blending better with the lead vocal there it'll sound great.
Besides that, the mix sounds good to my ears, and I really dig the arrangement.

OK:

There are nicely recorded sounds in it. And the vocal is good. Here's where I think it could be improved:

Less reverb. The whole work it pushed back into the cave. If you had the "in your teeth" presence of the opening congas throughout, it'd be swell.

The bass drum plays a strong figure throughout the song, but the bass never follows it...choosing, instead, to follow the flow of the guitars and keys: that robs the work of power available. A bass sound with a bigger transient, faster decay, some HF slap, and playining with the bass drum. That'a the ticket.

The snare is slappy...all alone. Something with some 'tub'..or an EQ tweak...would be something worth experimanting with.

Now the biggie: melodic intrest and invention:

The playout of the chords is generally blockish unison on keys and guitars. There are some arpeggios in the keys...but all chord tones, and no strong lines to catch an ear. This makes for a boring listen. The only melody I detected in the piece was the vocal.

Maybe imagine a counter-theme or two in some of the chording instruments....significant melodic sentences that compliment and/or work between the vocal melody. Ascending and descending diatonic, two or three note figures. Some lines that have two or more instruments playing together. There is strength and interest in that.....and what the tune lacks. Think of every instrument as one piece of a string quartet. Weave texture, and twist rope.

One other element that could make a lot of interest is the occasional use of
7th's and extensions and voice-led lines in the chords. The chords are [IIRC] all triads, played in what sounds like root position. You can gain strength by opening them...say drop the fifth or third notes an octave...play it in the bass or something. The breakdown part is a good candidate for adding 9ths and sussed chords.....like a 'Sting thing', to add an etherial stain, and differentiate it from the rest of the tune.

If you read music, or have a good ear, it can be a worthwhile thing to study and learn a couple Bach pieces. Playing them opens new possibilities for chordal motion and note choices in your mind. All of the elements that I cited are things taught in Bach and other classical compositions...and in a more confined, less confusing format than, say, jazz. Although playing the flow of lines from a single transcription of the horn section of a Duke Ellington tune is a good way to open imaginaton. Tools to spur your creativity. You don't have to understand the mechanics...just make some new synapses in your brain so you can imagine pleasing melody and chords and motion. It's power for your music. And if you can hear it, you can record it.

Other than that, I'd say listen attentively to a lot of pop music. Listen for the elements I mention...unison counter melody and themes, etc. They are stock and trade tools of the arranger.

Keep on! You record nicely. Restrain from enhancemants. Make the arrangement interesting when it's dry in the mix. Reverb, etc, is no substitute for musical strenght in a composition.

[not trying to sound harsh....trying to inspire you to better things you can't imagine...and offering you a map to get there]

Wow, thanks Jeff, not harsh at all, probably the best critique I've ever received on my music! Lots of things I can work on. You really put some time into that response for me and I appreciate it immensely! It's the stuff I really need to hear to improve my game. Thanks again :D

The Cancers, I agree on the last verse, I'm not a fan of it either but it worked at the time and I wanted to get a first draft of this one nailed down. Not sure where I could take that, lyrically.

I'm working on a tune.....and it illustrates a point or two of what I was talking about: "weaving". The piano comps the basic chords and follows the kick a lot. The guitar plays a lot of anticipations, toys with melody, and runs around the piano sometimes, and locks into it other times. And there are occasionally voices in the chords that lead to other chords...sort of mapping the eventual vocal harmonies...and a few ideas to paste unison or harmony lines over as I add things.

I also did an experiment for myself:

There are four pieces. The bass and guitar are direct-in. The drums are a stock MIDI kit to work out the parts, and the piano is midi. There's no verb on anything, and the mix sounds powerful and robust to my ears. So I tried to see how much life I could suck out of it with a heavy verb. You can judge.

The master was loudness maximizer with a hard limiter. No compression. The less I do, the better stuff sounds. The guys here have been pounding these lessons into my head for years. I'm finally figuring it out. Duh.....

"Testmaster"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=825703&content=music

Back