Once more with feeling, Poco fans.

mbrusko

Christ, I'd be dangerous if I ever uploaded a file correctly the first time.

OK, hopefully this clicks. Poco's only legit top 40 hit. From the album (???) of the same name.

Critiques welcomed but not expected, since I'm such a sporadic visitor to this site and too inexperienced to offer any meaningful help to folks like me, who need it.

View attachment MB Good feeling to know.mp3

Man, I've heard of poco before, but never actually heard their music except maybe on a K-Tel Record commercial as a kid...like, "Sounds of the '70's" or something :). Anyway, I thought I would hate it. I didn't :)

It's a fun track. it moves along well and the performances are pretty tight. I thought the vocals (particularly the background vocals), were really well done. Tons of energy there.

I wasn't too crazy about the mix though as it sounded kind of scooped to me overall. Like, too much rumbly bass and loud cymbals. I love the bass playing though. Damn, that was good. Some things jumped out here and there too, like whatever hand percussion kicks in towards the middle of the track. Dial that back a bit maybe.

Vocal and guitar tracks had an almost harsh, grainy sort of quality to them in the high mids somewhere.

I'm listening on HD 280 phones btw. Hope this helps. :)

Retro mix, maybe too retro. I wouldn't be afraid to expand the instrumentation into the stereo field a little bit more. I like how the reverb on some of the (backing) vocals make them jump out, which should exist to a similar effect in any future changes.

The tambourine is a little too loud/present. That's what happens when you add an element to an already crowded mix, it's has to be louder to ride over everything else and ends up being too loud.

Has this kind of vibe :D [warning -- graphic content] :

https://youtu.be/9wnlK2nRKdk?t=1m12s

[your track doesn't make me wish my ears were cut off]

Original song is a favorite of mine. The verses sound really compressed on this. The vocals step back and the bass sits way forward. The backing vocals jump out way too much during the choruses. During the verse and some chorus parts the tambourine stands out, and the instruments all seem too squashed. Good vocal performances, just need to work on the mix.

Back