On-the-Road Recording.. suggestions =)

Moonis 29

I have a ($400) Yamaha Acoustic. I recently bought the LR Baggs M1 Soundhole Pickup for it. I've only been playing for about 4 years, learned on my own..

On my home computer, I have just a simple Line 6 Toneport that (to me) is GREAT for scratch recording of ideas and new songs in need of editing. As for programs, I use a combination of Acid Music Studio and Riffworks & Gearbox. I'm set and satisfied with what I have so far..

Now, I'd like as many suggestions as I can get before I start spending money...

I'm looking for some kind interface or piece that records my guitar (not my voice) while I'm on the road, whether its on vacation or just out of town.

Like I said, I'm no professional, and I don't really care how quility the sound is being recorded. I'm doing good on playing full songs without the need of editing when I'm just giving out samples to friends and family. But sometimes I fuck somethign up during a song, and I'll end up liking it when I listen to it over again, haha...

Any suggestions or hints on inexpensive equipment to buy for recording my acoustic on the road?? And like I said, if I really wanted, i'd take my labtop and other equipment but I'd rather do quick recordings without having to sit around for a half hour to hook everything up for a little 2 minutes recording.

A small digital recorder should work. There are several that use a memory card for around $250. I've seen the Zoom MRS-4 for $150, but I don't have any experience with them.

Generally, such devices are designed so that beginners can easily get results, and require a minimum of ancillary equipment. You should be able to plug a guitar cord into one and record. The quality will not be what you'd get with high-end mics, but you know that.

I have a computer-based project studio using Adobe Audition, and late last year I acquired a Korg D888 for recording off-site rehearsals and gigs. It's very intuitive. It's not particularly useful for mixing down, but I simply import the files into Audition and process them in the computer. It may, however, be more than you want, since it has 8 tracks (40GB HHD) and goes for around $700US.

Digital recording is the way to go. Cassette decks are still being produced and sold, but you give up a lot in terms of sonic quality compared to digital.

I don't really care how quility the sound is being recorded

How about a tape recorder? Brain-dead easy to use and they shouldn't cost more than $20-30. Check out the electronics section at your local thrift stores.

Digital recording is the way to go. Cassette decks are still being produced and sold, but you give up a lot in terms of sonic quality compared to digital.

How about a tape recorder?

hehehe

Anyway.

I'd recommend a digital recorder as well, since they give you a decent bit of space, and with a built-in mic you get a lot in a nice ompact package.

However, if you do want to spend as little as humanly possible, you could try a thrift store, or get a new stereo tape recorder of some sort. The limitations on those things (to me) seem to be the mics - I have a handheld mini-cassette recorder that has the most god-awful built-in mic I've ever heard. Basically a static generator. It does, however, make me sound like I was recorded in 1904, and the tape was left in an attic for 100 years :D

Again, if quality is a concern, then tape decks won't, or shouldn't, be your first choice.

However, it sounded like the OP just needed something quick and dirty to get the ideas down.

Quality of tape recorders do vary, and you might be surprised by the results you get with a cheap tape recorder.

A small digital recorder should work. There are several that use a memory card for around $250. I've seen the Zoom MRS-4 for $150, but I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks for the help, everybody!! I've been looking up alot of digital recorders (and by the way, I'd prefer a digital over a cassette), and I'm trying to learn more about what kind I should get. The more I think abotu it, the more price isn't much of a concern. I'm willing to spend anywhere between $100 and $400. They just brought a Guitar Center into my area, so I'll go down there and get a few more suggestions on which one I should get!

If anybody has any certain favorates, or digital recorders that they use or have experiance with, I'd appretiate it if they could leave me some feedback on how they like them, so my choices can be narrowed down a little more :) Thanks again everybody!!

Thanks for the help, everybody!! I've been looking up alot of digital recorders (and by the way, I'd prefer a digital over a cassette), and I'm trying to learn more about what kind I should get. The more I think abotu it, the more price isn't much of a concern. I'm willing to spend anywhere between $100 and $400. They just brought a Guitar Center into my area, so I'll go down there and get a few more suggestions on which one I should get!

If anybody has any certain favorates, or digital recorders that they use or have experiance with, I'd appretiate it if they could leave me some feedback on how they like them, so my choices can be narrowed down a little more :) Thanks again everybody!!

Zoom H4 = very good for this sort of thing, with decent built-in mics.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H4/

300 bucks, and it has built-in condenser mics (in a stereo X/Y configuration), two XLR mic inputs for external mics, and a bunch of other features.

Zoom H4 = very good for this sort of thing, with decent built-in mics.

Hahaha, that's funny.. I went to Guitar Center a few hours ago and this was actually one of the first things this guy pointed out to me (along with a couple other pieces). I've just got done reading alot of reviews on it and it looks like it might be a go if I don't find anythign else that interests me!

Thanks alot for the help Cuse!!

Back