On the right track?

Belthazor

Hey everyone!

I play guitar in my band which at the time conists of 2 of my long-life friends that play drums and keyboard. We do have a bass player that plays with us every now and then...but that's beside the point.
We've got several songs recorded on my laptop wich is a Toshiba P4. We also have a Peavey XR1200 mixing board and Nady SP1 (3) for Drums and vocals. We're currently using a Sure SM-58 for the Bass drum. The keyboard is going directly into the mixer through the headphone/output jack, and my guitar is going straight to the board through the headphone/output jack of my Boss ME-58 effects pedal. We haven't recorded the bass w/ anything yet, but when we do we'll probably go straight to the board like the guitar & keyboard.
The way I've got everything setup is the keyboard is the only thing coming out of the main speakers on the mixer, everything else only goes out of the Monitor 1 channel. From mon1, it goes into the microphone jack on the side of my laptop. I use Sound Forge 7 to record everything all at once. The recordings sound pretty good, but not good enough to be "Demo worthy" and we all agree. My drummer has a new Power Mac with Logic Pro but we haven't really used it much, since the computer stays over at his house.
My main question is what do I need to record all the parts (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, ect..) seperately instead of all together in one big wave or without playing one part at a time then mixing each part? I would assume that Multi-track recording would do the trick, but I know pretty much NOTHING about multi-track recording. Does this mean that every part has its own interface to the computer? I've also got Adobe Audition on my laptop, so I've got the software to do multi-track on my computer. What do I need to get to make this happen?

Maybe one of these would help get you started. They come in bigger versions too and plug straight into the USB port on your computer. If you wanted the instrments separated for mixing purposes just record them one at a time --- drums first.

Going into the laptop through the Mic IN is probably your weakest link at this point. See if you can get your buddy to bring his computer over, being a desktop, it should have a LINE IN in addition to the Mic IN. That should give you a huge boost in quality right there. To get much better you need an interface like one of these:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

How many inputs/channels you need depends on how many sources you want to record simultaneously. I would say for a band with drums you would need an 8 channel interface, or if you're strapped for cash, get a two channel interface. Use the mixer you have to mix down all the mics into a stereo mix, and send that into the computer via interface. Just remember that you will be comitted to the mix, if you realize that the snare was up too high for example you won't be able to fix it without re-recording.

Back