On the edge-tried out my new keys on this one

pretty cool tune.. I like the change.. nice guitar leads in there!!! the vocals came in pretty loud.. some pitch issues.. the drum machine needs to die.. very cool song.. if you got some better drum samples and worked on the vocals a bit, it would be a lot better of a tune.. some of the beats were a little strange.. good lyrics.. I'm working on a synth saturated tune myself.. I love keyboards.. keep it going!

I agree with everything Sam said. This is a good effort and shows a Lot of potential! Keep going....

Seems to be a huge amount of reverb on parts of the vocal, I'm not sure if that's needed although I believe you were going for an effect. Keys sounds really great to my ears. Song is maybe in need of a edit as I found it a bit long.

I liked the tone of the vox and they sound really strong, the writing is there. This really does fit the genre you described it, I totally feel the prog rock thing.

The drums are mixed pretty far back but i forget they're there when i hear those leads. Very cool stuff.

I got a little bit of rumbling somewhat on the bottom end. I liked the delays on the vox but i would cut one or two repetitions off the end. Keep the timing just lower the number of feedbacks.

That was a pretty good listen. I just think your drum sounds really bring the overall sound down - cheapens things up. Cool guitar sounds. Maybe tame that reverb on the vox a little. The delays were cool and appropriate just tame them a little too IMO. Some pitch issues too.

Great start! Let's hear this thing polished up.

B Sabbath: I agree the drum machine (DR-670) sucks. I keep trying to make it sound better but Im about to give up and try something different. As usual my vocals need work and I really do try hard at them. I also had to work hard on the keys for it has been a very long time, like since I was a kid. The strange beats were because I had the drums recorded for a different song and when I started playing the keys over the drum track just for kicks they seem to work ok. But after a few listens Im not ok with it....
Thanks for the listen and encouragment

Sluice: I do want to take some time with this tune and make it right. Thanks for the listen

Lynx: Thanks for the comments on my Keys. They are just a cheap Technics SX-KN500 that I bought for 100 bucks at a pawn shop-lol. They seem to do the trick though.... The song is too long? Man I was going to extend it a little more. Thanks for steering me the other way, it will be a lot easier. The vocal effects were heavy on some parts on purpose but I do think I got carried away.
Thanks for the listen

Khompewtur: When I write songs they seem to end up in different directions. Its hard to peg the genre at times. You are right about the delay. Im definantly going to clean it up on my next round. Thanks for the tip and listen.

Skids: I really do hate my drum machine and it wasnt all that cheap but I agree it cheapens things up. Im about done with it.
I will take some time on this song and get it right. I can play drums but the guy at the local recording studio tells me its very expensive to get them to sound good. He actually likes my fricken drum machine sound??? Go figure:confused:
Thanks for the listen

Myx62,

The new keys sound quite nice and full! $100 bucks sounds like quite a deal!

The points that have been made already about the drum sounds and excessive echo are ones I would have mentioned as well but, I don't want to appear monotonous. Actually, I Love that swirling echo effect! I could see how and why you went a little overboard with it.

The song has a nice mood and feel to it so far. The guitar playing and its tone are wonderful. They sit well in the mix too as does the vocals.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers! :)

Nice tune,I like your vocal style.

Guitars sound really good,great chops!

I use a drum machine,tough to get a good sound out of them.
The quick hits always give it away.
Sounds like they need a little high end.

Fine song,looking foward to hearing it progress .

Pete

Ghost of FM: I was thinking my vocals were to much up front, but again I usually have then buried. Sometimes I cant get over how well my pod sounds. I havent miced a cab in a year-lol, but my next hard rock song I will. Thanks for listen

Muzeman: You like my vocal style? I like you man:D I am mainly a guitarist. I actually used to be really good. I just dont practice much anymore although I should. I really hate my drum machine. I want a real drummer! Is it just us that notices it or does the general listening population know its a drum machine also? Im going to start asking friends and co workers if they can tell.... Thanks for the listen

First of all, I apologize if my laziness about reading the previous comments means I'm repeating things here...:)

The mix in general is a little on the "dark" side (sonically, not subject matter). There's a lot of boominess down there at the bottom. That's the main thing that jumps out at me as needing some tweaking. I'm not crazy about the drum machine. In fact for this kind of tune I might just go ahead and do REALLY fake-sounding drums, so you can just say "see, I'm doing it on purpose".:) I think it would work okay. This has a kinda 80s vibe about it anyway, which is cool.

Chris

groucho : We can all be lazy at times. Im using my drum machine out of sheer laziness(I dont like it either).....I think I tweeked the bass down a bit on my last mix . Hey Im an 80's kinda guy. Im an Ex LA shred metal head......Thanks for the listen
Myx

Totally cool and strong piano intro.

I'd take that drum down a bit, let those cool keys stand out ... it's a drum all in itself ...

Cool primary theme.

I cannot understand the vocal exclamation at 00:33 ... door number 4 :D

At 00:57, I can understand the words. And that's a lot of reverb on your vocal.

It's mixed loud enough, the vocal is 'on top'.

Don't rely so much on the drums, when you get better samples, you can plug them in.

The guitar is awesome, so take the drums down, and show off what 'cha got ...

At 2:05 , good vocal, but you know I like less reverb ... :-)

2:26, good backup vocal mix, having a bit of trouble actually understanding the words.

Yes, this drum ... mix it way back, rely more on the piano ...

At 3:00, the vocal is fine, less reverb though, there's plenty of delay there already to carry things.

03:26, got to struggle to understand the words, and I think it's pronunciation ...

Ahhh finally got it ... 'living on the edge'

See this guitar is killer, I would rely more on your guitar skills, and keyboard rather than the drum, until you can hunt up some better samples.

I mean, it's a good drum part, tasteful ...

Cool dode, makin' music ! yeah ...

This has a very european flavor, metal and power rock ... but the tasteful intelligent keyboards ...

cool, thanks for sharing.

studioviols : Hey thanks Studio for the detailed critique. It really does help immensly. I agree with most that you pointed out. I really want to do this song right and its going to take a while. Ive already remixed and done so many things in the last few days. I wont post a updated version for a few weeks though.
Thanks for the listen.
Myx

Back