On an album recording, drums must be retuned for all differents tracks?

Lord Target

Hi, folks. The title is kind of self-explanatory.

I´ve heard that to enhance the compositions, for each track the drums must be retuned according to the possible different song keys...

what do ya say?

thanx again

Of course. At least the ones that need it... I mean, if you do a tune in Em and then one in GMaj, you might be fine. B-flat and you're going to need some adjustments.

I would think, if you were going to tune a drum to a key scale, you would tune to the notes that stay common across multiple scales. May stick with one or two notes that run across many scales. If you look at the circle of 5ths, you can quickly see example, a C scale and an Am scale are the same. Move one left or right and they share most of the same notes. Left to C scale F and Dm, one right of C, G and Em. That simply means 6 notes either side share. With a drum, you could probably pick two that would be shared over several keys. F scale has 6 of the same notes as C. Bflat and B being the difference going left, Going right, F and F# being the difference. This applies to their minor relatives. That means if you stayed with C, D, E, G A, you cover 6 keys. 3 major, three minor. For B flat/Gm, it share with C and Am, C, D, E and F.

So, if you pick the right note(s) to tune to, you would stay in key over a large majority of keys.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, point here is, Circle of 5ths and the scales you would find out real quick what would be the preferred notes for which you mainly play in.

If you want to tune your drums to specific key, to start with....good luck. Secondly, yes, you want to make sure they're in key for the song.

With that being said, I think its a waste of time. Just tune your drums to sound awesome. While tuning a single headed drum to a certain pitch is doable, if not that difficult (timpani), tuning a double headed drum to a certain pitch is way more effort than its worth.

I must ask, what genre is the OP working with? If the drums are an integral part of a melody, then yes.

Otherwise, not even...

Maybe each song. I wouldn't do each take unless the heads are going out of tune on you as you record (in that case they just need to stretch anyway).

In fact that is why I wouldn't, matching the heads tunings to the other takes would suck. It would suck really bad. Would kill the vibe too.

This is one of those things that I always mark up to studio fantasy lore that doesn't really happen that much in real life. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

First, there are obvious tuning differences that you'll find in, say, a heavy rock vs a fusion jazz record. The heavy rock record will most likely have the drums tuned to their lowest tuning ranges while the fusion record will most likely call for a wider range of voicings, particularly for the toms. You'll also probably find that different tom sizes are employed between the two styles and the snares will most likely be tuned very differently or differ in size as well.

As for between songs...

I don't believe this is very widespread practice, particularly if the album has a particular aesthetic. Most albums just have the same drum sound throughout, particularly pop/rock. Then again, a diverse album that covers many different sounds is more likely to have entirely different drummers and kits for each song, depending on the production, than the same kit retuned for each song. Not saying it's never been done. I'm just saying it's not done often. I'll tell you why.

To me, drums are not like guitars. You can't tune a drum to Nashville tuning like you can a guitar. Drums are atonal but have an ambiguous fundamental "note" followed by complex overtones. I don't know if they still do it, but DW used to put a specific note inside their drums that you were supposed to tune it to. This, I presume, was the note at which the drum best resonated. If you've ever tuned drums extensively, you'll know that drums go through "tuning ranges" and most of the time only sound good in the range that is optimal for the drum's size and resonant characteristics. Remember the drum is a resonant cavity that will have some sort of fundamental when you reach the right tension. If you cause the heads to vibrate at some sort of harmonic of that fundamental, you'll get loss of tone and sustain. So to me, tuning a whole kit per song is a waste of time. So the song's in the key of D Major. Are you going to attempt to tune the toms to D F# A? You may get lucky or close, but good luck getting the drums to sing. What if the key changes every song? Good luck getting the drums to sound good in all those keys.

No, my philosophy is tune the drums until they're in the proper tuning range and sounding good and leave it at that. If there is a total shift of musicality and you need a different sound, get some different sized toms, a variety of snares to choose from or an entirely different kit. I know that's probably not easy but it's the best decision, IMO.

Cheers :)

This is one of those things that I always mark up to studio fantasy lore that doesn't really happen that much in real life. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

First, there are obvious tuning differences that you'll find in, say, a heavy rock vs a fusion jazz record. The heavy rock record will most likely have the drums tuned to their lowest tuning ranges while the fusion record will most likely call for a wider range of voicings, particularly for the toms. You'll also probably find that different tom sizes are employed between the two styles and the snares will most likely be tuned very differently or differ in size as well.

As for between songs...

I don't believe this is very widespread practice, particularly if the album has a particular aesthetic. Most albums just have the same drum sound throughout, particularly pop/rock. Then again, a diverse album that covers many different sounds is more likely to have entirely different drummers and kits for each song, depending on the production, than the same kit retuned for each song. Not saying it's never been done. I'm just saying it's not done often. I'll tell you why.

To me, drums are not like guitars. You can't tune a drum to Nashville tuning like you can a guitar. Drums are atonal but have an ambiguous fundamental "note" followed by complex overtones. I don't know if they still do it, but DW used to put a specific note inside their drums that you were supposed to tune it to. This, I presume, was the note at which the drum best resonated. If you've ever tuned drums extensively, you'll know that drums go through "tuning ranges" and most of the time only sound good in the range that is optimal for the drum's size and resonant characteristics. Remember the drum is a resonant cavity that will have some sort of fundamental when you reach the right tension. If you cause the heads to vibrate at some sort of harmonic of that fundamental, you'll get loss of tone and sustain. So to me, tuning a whole kit per song is a waste of time. So the song's in the key of D Major. Are you going to attempt to tune the toms to D F# A? You may get lucky or close, but good luck getting the drums to sing. What if the key changes every song? Good luck getting the drums to sound good in all those keys.

No, my philosophy is tune the drums until they're in the proper tuning range and sounding good and leave it at that. If there is a total shift of musicality and you need a different sound, get some different sized toms, a variety of snares to choose from or an entirely different kit. I know that's probably not easy but it's the best decision, IMO.

Cheers :)

I read about this and thought, how the hell would you tune a drum. Theoretically guess anything is possible. After thinking it over, I thought the only drum I could see being tuned would be Kettle Drums from an orchestra.

You could do it, but it would be difficult at best. Seems like your approach is the most reasonable one for 95% of us.

I must ask, what genre is the OP working with? If the drums are an integral part of a melody, then yes.

Otherwise, not even...

Classic Rock. That´s why I had doubts about the tuning thing. I´ve been listening to bands like Tracer, Free Fall, Kadavar, Rival Sons and some stoner bands. I must confess I can´t distinguish different tuning all the time on the drums.

I had the thought that maybe a band would pick a tuning or two to cover all tracks. This idea of tuning the drums every new track is kinda of confusing, maybe too methodic or whatever.

Anyway, I think there must be some trials befores entering the studio actually. And that demands a lot of work to be done and analysed. :facepalm:

By the way, Jimmy, I´ve showed my band mates Michael Morrow´s 2 songs, from your studio website, and we fricking loved those tracks!!!

May stick with one or two notes that run across many scales.

So, if you pick the right note(s) to tune to, you would stay in key over a large majority of keys.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, point here is, Circle of 5ths and the scales you would find out real quick what would be the preferred notes for which you mainly play in.

That was my primary thought about tuning the drums! And I think it´s a really good start!

By the way, Jimmy, I´ve showed my band mates Michael Morrow´s 2 songs, from your studio website, and we fricking loved those tracks!!!

Yeah, that guy is a bad ass. He coming back to record some Kiss covers for fun, then another full length record this winter. Really cool dood too. :)

Yeah, that guy is a bad ass. He coming back to record some Kiss covers for fun, then another full length record this winter. Really cool dood too. :)

Yeah! That´s good news. Sure thing we will purchase his cd. And I can tell we will be the first here in Brazil to have it!

If you want to tune your drums to specific key, to start with....good luck. Secondly, yes, you want to make sure they're in key for the song.

With that being said, I think its a waste of time. Just tune your drums to sound awesome. While tuning a single headed drum to a certain pitch is doable, if not that difficult (timpani), tuning a double headed drum to a certain pitch is way more effort than its worth.

This x 100000

Just tune the drums to sound the best they can at their own natural pitches. Done.

Back