Omni on acoustic?

sickstring69

Just read on guitar & bass forum that an omni can sound great on acoustic because boominess tends to lessen? I love miking the soundhole and if this omni thing is true, can you guys recommend a reasonably priced unit (300?). I currently record solo acoustic fingerstyle with an NT3 and an AT4040 through a DMP3. Thanx ahead.

Yes, an omni has no proximity effect so if you are micing close the 'boominess', which is the proximity effect, will disappear. However you could also remove the proximity effect by positioning it a little further away. If you go the route of the omni you will need to care a lot more about the sonic qualities of your room

"you will need to care a lot more about the sonic qualities of your room"

..which is a good thing to care about. The last acoustic act I recorded at my home studio we tracked a guitar with an omni AT 4050 - it sounded great, not least because of placement and because we treated the room right by deadening off the windows with thick comforters.

A normal living room is often a reasonable acoustic environment without much help.

Good suggestions so far. I record in omni or fig-8 sometimes, depending on the track. If I was on a budget and wanted an omni I'd grab a Studio Projects B3 ($169). They are supposed to be very good on acoustic guit and have cardioid, omni, and fig-8 patterns.

Sp C3 or CAD m179 are nice multi pattern mics. I have and use both. In the omni mode they do a great job of capturing the crisp, clean tones of my Taylor as well as the full body of my Guild and Gibson. I recently treated my room to foam lining and it really makes a world of difference. Foam by mail has some very reasonably priced stuff to throw on the walls. It makes all my equipment sound better

An omni dynamic can be crammed pretty close to the soundhole and still give a natural sound. It's not a richly detailed sound like you'd get with a SDC, but it's good if you're recording in a poor environment.

Nice thing about them on an accoustic is that they're good for picking up the sound of the whole instrument (as opposed to just the sound at the 12th fret or the sound hole, etc.) -- the way our ears hear it.

This could be a good or a bad thing.

Back