Olympus ME30W microphones with Zoom H8 recorder

Renee

Hello,
I've purchased the Olympus ME30W microphones to record a group project where we are collectively discussing ideas around a table. I'm move video than audio but did my research, chatted to a few companies and several of them recommended the Olympus ME30W mics. I've plugged them in (via 1/4 inch jack) but nothing - I get very little soundwave on the zoom and when I record I get white noise. I've also tried directly going via the line in via the mini jack but that hasn't worked either.
I tried switching them to phantom power - not that I believe they require it but thought to give it a go- no joy either.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge connecting these mics to a Zoom recorder?
Thanks
Renee.

Hello,
I've purchased the Olympus ME30W microphones to record a group project where we are collectively discussing ideas around a table. I'm move video than audio but did my research, chatted to a few companies and several of them recommended the Olympus ME30W mics. I've plugged them in (via 1/4 inch jack) but nothing - I get very little soundwave on the zoom and when I record I get white noise. I've also tried directly going via the line in via the mini jack but that hasn't worked either.
I tried switching them to phantom power - not that I believe they require it but thought to give it a go- no joy either.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge connecting these mics to a Zoom recorder?
Thanks
Renee.
Those microphones require "plug-in" power, which is something that you might get from a camcorder's mic jack. It would depend on exactly which model Zoom recorder you are using, to know if it is capable of supplying plug-in power. The original Zoom H2 supplied it, as well as the newer H2n, but I don't know about later models. If you are going in to a 1/4" jack, I'm assuming it's something like an H4/5/6 model, and those combo jacks only supply phantom (48v) power to an XLR connector. 48v will *fry* your microphones, so you don't want to use that, at least not directly.

If you have to use a recorder that does not have plug-in power, but does have phantom power at XLR jacks, then an adapter like this can be used:

Those microphones require "plug-in" power, which is something that you might get from a camcorder's mic jack. It would depend on exactly which model Zoom recorder you are using, to know if it is capable of supplying plug-in power. The original Zoom H2 supplied it, as well as the newer H2n, but I don't know about later models. If you are going in to a 1/4" jack, I'm assuming it's something like an H4/5/6 model, and those combo jacks only supply phantom (48v) power to an XLR connector. 48v will *fry* your microphones, so you don't want to use that, at least not directly.

If you have to use a recorder that does not have plug-in power, but does have phantom power at XLR jacks, then an adapter like this can be used:

Thank you so much for such clear explanation. I thought it must have been something like that but couldn't quite figure it out. I have a Zoom H6 & H8 and the supplier said I could connect it with a 1.4" jack so that is a bit shady. Thank you so much again for being so helpful and a lifesaver!
Renee.

Thank you so much for such clear explanation. I thought it must have been something like that but couldn't quite figure it out. I have a Zoom H6 & H8 and the supplier said I could connect it with a 1.4" jack so that is a bit shady. Thank you so much again for being so helpful and a lifesaver!
Renee.
Both the Zoom H6 and H8 have plug-in power support in the 1/8" jack. So, you shouldn't need the XLR adapter, but not sure if your mics came with a "Y" to connect them to a stereo jack, which is what they expect. (I had an original H6, but never actually used the plug-in-power feature on it! My F8s do not have a 1/8" jack, and I no longer have a mic that needs it.)

You need to read the manual to see how to turn plug-in-power on, as it may be off by default.

Back