OLP Stuart Spector NS bass

tf5_bassist

The LouDogg
okay... I was just lookin' around, and I just discovered this. OLP is now manufacturing Stuart Spector Designs licensed Spector NS copies under the OLP brand... check it out here... I think that instead of buying myself a nice conklin or schecter, i'm gonna' buy myself a 4 and 5 string OLP Spector for nearly the same price... After playing them of course... Anyone played one of these yet?

olp's are all over GC. I worked there for a few months and tried just about every axe in the store.

not a bad beginner bass. they seemed to stay in tune and sounded good through an ampeg 1x15 box. How it compares to a model, I can't tell you.

I don't know what your budget is, but for less than $700, you can get a real Music Man SUB bass. American made, and sounds great.

MusicMan Sub

I've played the S.U.B.

A\B'd against the Stingray it sounds like a Music Man, but there is definitely "something missing".

I'm not sure about the area you live in, but in Houston there is a place where I can get a Stingray new for under $1000.

If you can too, its worth the extra $250-275.

I'm aware of the fact that the olps are beginner basses, basically... I'm not a beginner (nor am i a bass guru), but I just want something aside from my semi-generic jazz bass and my ibanez iceman. something preferably with 22 or 24 frets, and has a more varied tone. From what i've experienced, the stingrays are a bit more meaty and more rock-ish. I'm kinda' looking for some instruments to experiment with some more funk-type, or experimental-type tones. I've got my Iceman for the rock/metal, it handles it quite well..

So basically, since i don't need a top of the line bass, and am not gigging professionally anymore (yet :( ), I just want some basses to tool around on. And I figure that a four and five string olp would cost as much as the single four-string schecter or Conklin i want, and suit me just fine until i decide i want to spring for a better one along those lines.

And yes, I do realize very much so that i get what i pay for. :D After all. I work in electronics retail. >_<

Back