OldGrover's Up

by the way

I've been a member a year longer that you and you have 400 more posts than me ... whats up with that?
I guess you just have more to say ... :D

nevermind, I got it...

http://www.greysfiles.com/Studio/Index.htm

Cool pics, Grover ...
How do those bass traps from Auralex work out?
Are those LERND or the Sunburst ones?
Low/mid trapping is my next project (well, ongoing project anyway)... so I'm interested in your experiences with the Roominator kit.
Anyway, cool pics thanks for sharing!

They are the LENRD bass traps and, to be honest, at this point I don't KNOW how well they are working. The room sounds good, but I don't know if it would be otherwise, since most of the stuff I'm doing in there isn't very bass heavy. Some of the keys stuff has some cranking bass, but not much else.

I'm assuming it works well since the room sounds good and since I followed the instructions (as much as possible - two corners were mounted horizontally, rather then vertically as shown and as Auralex recommend, because of the closet and door) but until I get a bass player and kick drum trying to play in there I won't know for sure. At this point, I really don't have a hell of a lot of volume from electronic stuff (more money to spend), my primary concern was high freq stuff from the trumpet

They look cool, though. I wish the photos showed the way the foam looks better - it isn't as monocolour as the pictures show.

I'll be adding some more pictures now that I've got film. I'll try to get a picture of me in there as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Couldn't have done it without you!

Oh, one comment about studio spaces... think about light as part of the whole process. This place is pretty dark and I'm having to retrofit in lights which would have been easier to do before the painting and foam install

Wish I had some "before" pictures - it was a little girls room before - all pink and frilly. Quite a change.

OldGrover

goddamn...

i'm amazed. that looked so good, i bet it has a psychological (positive) effect too!

by the way : John, your site is terrific!

were starting the construction today, i'll try to get some pictures too, if you let me.

thanks all,

guhlenn

Yeah, the psychological effect is pretty tremendous. When you go in there, you know you are there for music. Before, she and I shared space and her music stuff, my recording stuff, my computer stuff and my books were all crammed into one, smaller room. Now we've got two rooms, one for music, one for computers and books... though I'm debating dropping a camera/monitor setup between the two rooms and starting to mix in my computer room. I'd have to mix through earphones, though... but on the plus side, I've got the better computer. I'd have to run a snake between the rooms, but that's easy enough - I've already run network cables between them.

Hmm. That could work... or, if I get really nutso, I could sound treat my room as well as mix through monitors - as soon as I get some. But then I'd have to worry about bleed from the sound room - as I said, I wasn't worried about soundproofing before.

This is a never ending struggle, isn't it?

-cdr

that's what i'm most afraid of...

there should be a free recording studio with every instrument sold...
inflatable or something

guhlenn

Grover, hey great pics bud! Looks like a nice place to be creative in!

You also mentioned the importance of thinking about how to light a studio as well. I couldn't agree more, this is really important, and much easier to do before you have your equipment in there and set up.

John just posted some pics of my studio on that page too. (Michael Jones's Studio) I put in 6 directional 'eyeball' spots, and wish I would have put in 3 more along the left hand wall. That would have taken out a small area of shadows. The spots do have a dimmer on them as well, so you can really tweek the lighting to sort of fit the situation, or your mood.

You need to consider though the load of your circuit breaker if you do any additional lighting or electrical work. Most rooms are on a 20 amp circuit breaker. The 6 spots in my studio each hold a 75 watt bulb. 75x6=450watts,
450watts/120 volts=3.75 amps, add that to the current drawn from all the equipment you plan to have on and running and that number of course will go up.

If you exceed 20 amps... you'll trip the circuit breaker, would be a bummer during a session! Probably not very likely, but something to keep in mind any way.

guhlenn said:
goddamn...

i'm amazed. that looked so good, i bet it has a psychological (positive) effect too!

by the way : John, your site is terrific!

were starting the construction today, i'll try to get some pictures too, if you let me.

thanks all,

guhlenn

Of course the http://www.greysfiles.com domain is mine :) John made the studio site though. I just like to clear up confusion. :) I actually own the site. John is the brains of it. Except my updates, I do them.

i'm very sorry!

will YOU let me post pic's of the studio when it's done?

Let me praise you!

your site is good, terrific, awesome!

well i mean it

and john's site (i'm getting confused here ;)) is great too. but honestly, i don't know which one i meant in the previous post. well not anymore, my short term memory eh...

guhlenn

Oh hey now, no reason to get down and polish my shoes... :)

Of course you can post pictures on the site when you get photos. Given I don't run out of space :) We're going to have to look at putting pictures offsite or something if we get too big.

We are at 5 meg at the moment but I sure it's going to get bigger. Suggestions regarding free meg sites please ;)

Yes lighting is important - I've got three circuits in the control room just so we can get down and get ambient ;) All halogen on transformers and dimmers.

It's getting interesting at the studio cos all the framing etc is done and now as Amirel say's "Now we dress the lady". The guys built the first slots today and they're going to work out great. On saturday they are sanding the hardwood floors we've been laying for the last couple of weeks, - oh we've also built a verandah. Updates soon.

Cheers
john :D

hey brian i would love to polish your shoes...;)

what we did when we ran outa space is use the old adress only as link to the new at a xoom account. unlimited space there...
don't know exact but something like members.xoom.com/bunch a weird signs/yourname

you do get this annoying xoom ad at the top there though.

finally i've got SOMEthing to add, and not to ask.
guhlenn

I had a zoom account once, long, weird URL though.
Also, the more stuff that was put on it, the more it DRAGGED! I guess thats true with any internet server, but zoom seemed really bad.
Seems like about 50megs free is standard now-a-days with your ISP. I think thats what "Roadrunner" is giving me.

Back