Older song, rerecorded with what I know now. Love your feedback

Mindcore

Ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this a little bit.

Took one of my earlier songs and re-recorded it to see if I could do a better job now while having a previous referance.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

And yes, I know its Christmas Eve. I just wanted to get that one last tweak in. :)

Sounds pretty good here. I like your guitar tone. The vox are good too, though they start off a little quiet.
You could probably trim a minute off of it, make it shorter, sharper, more effective

Funny you mention that, live we cut it down. For some reason when I sat at the drums I just did it the old way, I was halfway through tracking before I realized it was still the "long" version. I didn't have the heart to start over. I blame the real drummer for not coming over. Next time.

I liked it, Nothing much to offer on the mix, the intro had some cheesy sounding instruments but once the vocals came in it was excellent

What are you using gear/software wise

Tony

Gear right, good call.

This is sad.

Berry UB1204 mixer into Maudio 24/96 card.
Art Tube pac preamp
Ludwig drumkit
Washburn N4 into a fender twin
Ibanez SR bass direct
Mics: SP B1, SM57's
Yamaha PSR something keyboard
Sonar 3 producer

Overall it sounded excellent, especially the drums and bass. The lead guitar sounded very nice as well, but I've got $5 that says the intonation's off--certain notes sounded just a little out with everything else. I wasn't the biggest fan of when you brought in the other distorted guitars, they didn't have the right tone to my ears. I just can't believe you got the drums to sound like that through a Behringer mixer--keep at it.

Shit, man, I'm not sure what to think. As I try and train my ears...well let me start with what I know. Musically, and as a songwriter, the song is good; good intro, hook, really nice when the instruments build and blend. Real drums, no doubt, and I love the 'woody' sound of the snare. The drums sit 'back' in the mix though, especially noticeable in the quieter passages. The cymbals are prominent in lows and ultra high bands, but maybe need a little lower high eq boost. Bass guitar is great but again sometimes a little 'back' in the mix. Guitars are out front, too much. Vocals are out front, but with all other elements mixed up, would be seated nicely IMO.
My ears would say this was recorded 'live' primarily. If not, there is a cool groove that is portrayed by the tracking.
Cool tune, just work on the mix and the details. :)

Thanks guys.

It was tracked one at a time, unfortunatly no one else in the band was around so I had to do all the parts by myself. I'm the guitarist and singer, you think that's why those are the loudest? It's subconscious I swear!

I don't think its the best song I ever wrote, but I think its probably my best recorded one. I've actually gone back and done a bunch more as well. All with in the same few days so there is consistancy.

Problem is my monitoring now. I'd just have to take your word on the eq adjustments and staging. I'm using a couple B&W 705's through an old technics AV amp. Then I check on speaker B with a couple full size towers, down to the living room on a marantz system and then out to the car. I want proper monitors, but then I want a better interface, and instead of buying better equipment I buy guitars instead!

I can also admit the fact that my ears aren't quite there yet. My quick songwriting recordings pretty much suck, but I don't hear a whole lot of differance.

Pretty good song. I like the change at 1:48 and again moving into the solo. Nice work. I dislike the everything about the keyboard sounds. It cheezifies your song, imho. Cool solo. Alright, my favorite part back at 3:34:50.

-Casey

Sounds like you've learned a lot - although I'm not familar with your previous tunes. This is a great mix - puts the Behringer bashers to shame (oh oh watch out for the flamers lol). That snare is really nice. Good harmonies/background vocal effects.
The song is catchy and well played too......good job!

Thinking about it, I think a big reason why this sounds much better then the others is because I've been playing this song live for years. I've heard it bad, good, and great along the way.

When I went to record it, I had a good feel of what it should sound like at the end. When I do my other songs, I'm usually writing them as I go. That's gotta be a big part of it.

Back