Older Shure mics versus their modern counterparts?

samurai

Well, a young friend who plays bass is coming around this week with his AI + Mac setup to do a bit of digital recording to get me into it.

However, in the meantime I've dug out my old Akai r to r and it still works, better still I managed to get a couple of brand new unopened spools of Ampex 20-20 mastering tape and tested out the kit and it still records well so I can at least get some practice in before he comes with his gear.

Now what I want to know is:... I was used to using Shure Unisphere mics back in the 70's for stage use and home recording and they were pretty good and I still have one which works fine and was thinking of adding another to my collection.

This question I suppose is for the older among us... How do modern Shure mics compare to older ones and which modern models do you suggest I look at as a comparison or, do I need to go down another route if I'm going to go digital in my recording eventually?

Thanks in advance...

Tony

For recording vocals it's hard to beat a good LDC. Many to recommend, but there are favorites in everyone's locker. I think I've seen some recommendations for Beta 87s on here, if you have to have Shure.
I'll bet the Unisphere will sound pretty okey dokey if you're looking for the retro sound, especially run through the deck.
I haven't sang through a Unispere (had a big ball one, think they were the "B" model) since high school. Went to the D24 and never went back from AKG till about 10 years ago. Now I sing through a AT wireless headset. My LDC is an MXL AKG C1000 SDC that I've never gotten out of the box, and a pair of 57s. I have a meager mic closet, but I only record for my own amusement and amazement.
How many tracks on the Akai?

For recording vocals it's hard to beat a good LDC. Many to recommend, but there are favorites in everyone's locker. I think I've seen some recommendations for Beta 87s on here, if you have to have Shure.
I'll bet the Unisphere will sound pretty okey dokey if you're looking for the retro sound, especially run through the deck.
I haven't sang through a Unispere (had a big ball one, think they were the "B" model) since high school. Went to the D24 and never went back from AKG till about 10 years ago. Now I sing through a AT wireless headset. My LDC is an MXL AKG C1000 SDC that I've never gotten out of the box, and a pair of 57s. I have a meager mic closet, but I only record for my own amusement and amazement.
How many tracks on the Akai?

It's only a 4 track but has sound on sound which is good for about 5 or 6 tracks before it begins to fall off. It really depends upon the quality of the tape....with Ampex 20/20 it was pretty good for rehearsing and excellent for live recordings.
I used run a line into the recorder direct from the output of the PA amp and mic up the rest of the stage fed through a home made mixer and it wasn't bad at all... a bit primitive but did the job!:D

Back