Older shure 57s

That_Abbott

I was talking to this guy on the phone about buying a shure 57 mic. He said that it was actually one of the older ones, but the only difference was that it said "unidyne" on it. He may have said that it said something else but I am pretty sure he said unidyne. When I asked him if he was sure that it was no different than the newer 57's he said he was 100% sure because they haven't changed the mics since '57 (which sounded like something he just made up to me).
Now again, I might be wrong about what he said was on it, but does anyone know anything about older 57 mics?
Tha ks

The quality control went down somewhat since they are now made in Mexico. I have a "good" SM57 BTW, if it wasn't it would have been returned to the dealer. The older ones marked "unidyne III" were made in the United States and are remarkably consistant.

Chris

P.S. When making my monthly run to the local vinyl LP dealer.
saw great album photo shots of Bobby Darrin recording
at Motown. Vocal mike-Shure Unidyne III SM57! :)

I have this mic that sounds like what you describe. It looks like an SM-57, except that it is stainless steel bodied with the normal SM-57 top part. It says Unidyne III also I think. I'm going to take another look tonight.

It also has a 4 prong connecter instead of an XLR, so I have never tried it. I have the right connector in a box in my garage, but I don't even know which pins to connect to an XLR if I made my own cable?

It was given to me several years ago along with 2 original "Elvis" mics, a Model 300 and various connectors.

Is this mic going to be worth the trouble to get it usable, or should I just hang on to it as a collector piece?

Dave

I have some of the old Unidyne series mics, also. The III is indeed the same capsule as the later 57. Yep, same mic.
Dave, just get yourself rewired to an XLR type connector for that bad boy. Makes a great mic for guitar cabs and snare.

Contact Shure about using your 545 (4 pronged), they should be able to help you for not too much $$.
The 545 and the SM57 are very similar, however, they have some slightly different components (copper used in 545 for example).
As a result, the tone is slightly different too.
Some actually prefer the sound of the 545's BTW.

Chris

Back