Older Mackie 1202 VLZ Leaking Sticky Substance

WWII Historian

Hi Gang

I have an older Mackie 1202 VLZ (approx. 2002).

I noticed several years ago there was a sticky black substance leaking from beneath (in the corners) where there were rubber feet (at some point in time)? Anyway, I removed the rubber feet years ago and pasted paper where the holes are. (Where the feet were attached). Its still leaking after all these years but it also STILL works?!

LEAKING CAPACITORS?

Thank You ...

Hi Rob

Thanx for the reply ...

Yes I intend to open it up and see what's what? If it were the rubber feet deteriorating, you'd think by removing them years ago, that would have concluded that issue?

I've seen capacitors leak but then the substance solidified (after time). What's amazing, (if it's still capacitor leakage going on for years), the darn thing STILL functions?! :oops:

How bout those Mackies actively leaking capacitors but STILL rockin on! Should be a Slogan! :guitar:

On 2nd thought (not so whimsical): Discovered this on 'Quora' "This can be dangerous, because a capacitor that is leaking can build up internal pressure and explode"

Last edited:
Hi Gang

I have an older Mackie 1202 VLZ (approx. 2002).

I noticed several years ago there was a sticky black substance leaking from beneath (in the corners) where there were rubber feet (at some point in time)? Anyway, I removed the rubber feet years ago and pasted paper where the holes are. (Where the feet were attached). Its still leaking after all these years but it also STILL works?!

LEAKING CAPACITORS?
It wouldn't be leaking capacitors - they don't have the large ones like guitar amps - what is it leaking exactly? And you say working - but is it working 100%? I don't know what could leak - you have to open it up and see - maybe it's the plastic separators that are disintegrating.

Hi Mr. Papanate!
Hi rob!

Yes well I agree with Mr. Papanate it seemed a bit of a stretch the 1202 Caps would even come close to those in an old Bassman Head (or) Marshall Head ....

It turns out, (even more sinister), its the continued attack of the 'BLOB' spreading its evil across your screens in America! Run Fer Yer Lives! Get Out! - Get Out!

Blob.jpg

DSC_0631A.JPG

DSC_0631A-B.JPG

In college, we used to quite enjoy putting big capacitors onto high current power supplies and turning it up so they exploded. The smell was disgusting but really even the big ones were pretty unexciting in noise and destruction. Just the wait for the bang. Which was really a loud pop. Small ones just go crack. The loud retorts come from the plastic keeping the pressure in, till it bursts. Leaky ones just dribble.

They may have use rubber feet material as internal spacers.
Ok, this isn't help, just fun.. Mackie used a lube' in his old Tapco's pots (give a little 'weight to their feel... Ended up thinning, leaking out after a time.
Curious to see what WWII finds :>)

Back