Old song...new guitar

Jagular

Hi guys & gals :D

I haven't posted anything for awhile, but I just got a new guitar a couple of weeks ago and today I just got the pickup system installed. The song is "Where The River Flows"

The new axe = Martin HD-35 with L.R. Baggs Dual Source installed. I just did a quick take of the guitar DI'd to see what it sounds like (a couple stumbles in there). So here it is. Sounds a hell of a lot better than my old Ovation Celebrity already and I haven't even startet tweaking yet :D.

I am going to have to figure out how to mic this beast. There is quite a BOOM factor. I need to put my puter in the closet before I can start really micing this thing. Boy does it sound sweet unplugged :D

http://www.nowhereradio.com/johnscott/singles

"Where The River Flows"

So whaddaya think of the DI sound? Thanks for listening :D

DI??????????

Thats probably the best you can do going direct.
Must be a real sweetheart, your guitar.
Songs not bad either.
A few stumbles on guitar, but the vocal performance is SWEET.
Your song?
Enjoy the axe.......................

Beautiful song!!

Well that's pretty darned good - I've been toying with the idea of a similar pickup system - this is encouraging. There are no piezo issues - whew! The top three strings ring with that Martin bell-like quality - love it. The bottom three strings sound a little boxy/boomy - too much resonance on the attack - but it appears that with some tweaking you can minimize or eliminate it. It's not a bad sound - just not what I like. And I can't offer any advice since I've never played with this kind of system.

Did you do any Eq'ing? Does the Baggs unit have three-band EQ on it?

Oh and by the way -that's a very nice song - hats off to the songwriter - and the voice - scratch? Trying to make me feel bad, here? Damn that's a nice voice!!

So do you find yourself just sitting there, looking at that D-35 on the stand and saying. "I own that!" ?
I really love the sound of a Martin. Enjoy!! Looking forward to hearing more as you hone the mic'ing with that system.
Milan

Great

I think the guitar sounds real nice but I really like the song. This song would sound really georgeous with a girl singing. Listeing to your December version. Great. These songs are tear droppers. Cheers.

Erland

DI?

You have got to be kidding me...
The tone is excellent...

John, This is a beautiful tune man...I like the story a lot...generation to generation...superb writing man.....

You sing damn good too....good scratch vox track for sure......what is your signal chain?

let me know if you need a track from me man...I would be happy to help if I can.

Take good care man,
Joe

This is an excellent song, brings me back to my childhood even. I loved the warmth of it, I think the mix is quite nice. Good job.

HevyD47Ca – Thanks for the compliment on the vocal :D. I suppose I ought to give the writers credit ;). This was a co-write between Crawdad & me. Man – I wish I could play like him though :D. That’s ok…every time I take a crack at this part, the stumbles & clams become less and less. Some year I may actually get a keepable take :D. Yes this is my new sweetheart. I’m trying not to make my wife jealous though :D. I am and will continue to enjoy the new guitfiddle :D. Thanks again.

MC Gitarz – Thanks man!!: :D I listened to this in the car on the way to work this morning & yeah, there is still some boom there. That’s even after a low cut :eek: (can’t remember where – I just did it very quickly). I probably will need to tweak the eq a bit more.

The Baggs doesn’t have a 3 band. It does have what I guess is a sweepable low cut knob to adjust, within a certain range, where you want to cut. I just got it yesterday so I don’t know all that much about it yet. What you heard is a 50/50 (both turned up all the way) blend of the under the saddle pickup and the internal condenser. They also have the option of running each signal out separately. I will probably play with this a bit soon. That way you could eq each signal separately and then blend. I think that could be quite useful in a live situation. Baggs also has the Para D.I. which give a lot more control over the signal (eq, phase, notch) which might be something I would look at if I really started playing out more. But I’ll tell ya, those lows were music to my ears after struggling with getting a good sound out of my old Ovation Celebrity all this time. I think I can actually hear wood in this thing :D.

Yeah…the voice is scratch (although I’ll admit it turned out pretty good), and the guitar picking is even more scratch :D. The vocals are really the only thing left that I’m really proficient at. The guitar picking is getting a little stronger, but I have a long way to go yet.

I have a funny story about that vocal take. I was recording it during my daughter’s nap time (she’s 3). She woke up and heard Daddy singing so she came in right around the bridge of the song. She saw me singing in the mic with the cans on. This was kind of a new sight for her. She had never seen me record before. She walked over and sat down Indian style and stared up at me wide eyed. She made a little noise, but it didn’t come through too much on the track. I just kept singing and I got to the last verse, I was looking at her, looking at me and a wellspring of emotion just bubbled over. I actually can hear a slight crack and waver somewhere in the last verse when this happened. I held it together and finished the song anyway. I think I will always keep this vocal track, even if it is just for my listening pleasure :). I already know I am successful in music from moments like this. She is definitely becoming “infected” with the music bug already and it warms my heart. Sorry for rambling :D (wait…no I’m not :p)

And yes…I do like to stare at this new beauty. I like to play it even more :D. I love the sound of it. My wife (who is not musically inclined in the least) can even hear the difference in my playing with the new axe. She even said I sing better when I’m playing it :D.

Erland – Thanks for listening man :). As I stated above, this was a co-write between Crawdad and me. I’m just not gonna listen to the guitar/vocal demo of his that I have sitting around yet. It will just be depressing (I need to practice, practice practice…). Thanks again. I appreciate the spins :D.

joro – Yep DI :D:D. I’m pretty happy with that system on first pass. I think I have a lot of fiddling to do to get it just right, but I think it will work great. Can’t wait to go do some songwriter’s nights here in Nashville with this. I want to see how it sounds live :D. Again…props to Crawdad too on the co-write.

Signal chain for vox is AKG C535EB mic > Audio Buddy > Delta 1010lt @ 24/44.1. Guitar is the same if I mic it, but this was DI.

Thanks for the listen man & the kind words.

lynx – Thanks for the listen & kind words. I appreciate it. I was surprised as I listened in the car this morning how decent the mix was. I really slapped it together quickly last night, and listened on puter speakers (the only monitors I have :(). Thanks for the listen :)

Ooh, this is nice

Good sound, a little boomy on the bottom. Overall--good sound.

The tune is excellent. There are a few playing issues, but pretty good.

I like it.

Jag,
Nice tune man. I am pretty sure I remember Crawdad posting his version. That's some very nice songwiting you guys did.

Good luck with this song and the new guitar. Regarding the guitar it is a pretty good DI sound for sure. There are some EQ issues to work through but it certainly does not scream DI.

Nice work.

I love the song. Very touching lyrics. Very well written.

The guit sounds pretty sweet. You might need to boost the mids just a bit (real little). I'd like to hear it mic'd for comparison.

I noticed some distortion around 1:32.

I'm hearing some string rattle in a few spots. A couple of small mistakes, but I think you were more tinkering with sound quality rather than a flawless take.

Hey - I tried to shoot you an email but I'm not sure if it went through 'cause my connection keeps crapping out on me. (I mistakenly referred to your system as a Fishman - sorry!!

sloop – Thanks for the listen. There really is only one playing issue. This that I put my hands on the guitar :D. I keep practicing. :D Thanks

skids – Thanks. Yes writing this with Crawdad was a great experience. We finished another one a few weeks ago. I’m not sure why he hasn’t unleashed it on y’all yet. He sounds damn good doing it. Yoohoo…Al…over here :D

smellyfuzz THANKSELLENT!!!!! :D

TripleM – Thanks for the kind words. I’ll try the eq suggestion. I will be trying to work on mic placement on this thing one of these days. I need to get my computer in the closet first. I tried micing it the other day. I want to be able to back the mic off 10-12 inches from the guitar and when I do that and get enough signal, the computer sounds like a jet. :D. String buzzing – yeah…partial due to the brand spanking new strings on there, mostly due to my poor technique :D. Thanks for listening.

Guitar is crisp on the sweet side, very nice sound you are getting. Mids are present, lows are present, and the highs are there and stronger than 'just tinkling'. It's generally a very well-balanced sound from the guitar.

Vox is mixed at a level where I can understand every word on the first listen.

There is a phrase 'two ... and then back west' around :40 I can't make that out clearly.

The guitar part is generally well performed, but as a guitarist and string instrumentalist I know your body and physical musician's mind is not quite prepared to handle a guitar part at this difficulty level with this new instrument.

In other words, I don't think you have grown into this guitar yet. That you are anxious to try this part is a great indicator that you will soon surpass this level of profieciency on this guitar. This is not the most difficult guitar part, but it is certainly advanced flat finger style.

If ever there were a song I've been exposed to on this bbs where a slow mournful fiddle on the sweet side would fit, it's this one.

It's a fantastic bit of lyric writing, that's for sure. Your metaphor of life and the flow and the river is simply fantastic.

I truly believe you should retrack this until you are suprememly confidant and enjoying the guitar playing effortlessly, the song is well worth it.

MC Gitarz said:
Hey - I tried to shoot you an email but I'm not sure if it went through 'cause my connection keeps crapping out on me. (I mistakenly referred to your system as a Fishman - sorry!!

No joy on this end. Message must have gotten lost in cyberspace :(. & no prob. Fishman...Baggs...they're all the same, right :D

Just missed you as I was posting responses. Thanks for the in-depth reply :)

studioviols said:
Guitar is crisp on the sweet side, very nice sound you are getting. Mids are present, lows are present, and the highs are there and stronger than 'just tinkling'. It's generally a very well-balanced sound from the guitar.

Thanks. I am looking forward to playing around and getting the best sound I can from this guitar. The sound unplugged is just fantastic (IMO of course). I love playing it.

studioviols said:
Vox is mixed at a level where I can understand every word on the first listen.

There is a phrase 'two ... and then back west' around :40 I can't make that out clearly.

Thanks for that. I will keep that in mind when I retrack the vocal some day on a fuller mix. Those little things can get to be habits if you’re not aware of them.

studioviols said:
The guitar part is generally well performed, but as a guitarist and string instrumentalist I know your body and physical musician's mind is not quite prepared to handle a guitar part at this difficulty level with this new instrument.

In other words, I don't think you have grown into this guitar yet. That you are anxious to try this part is a great indicator that you will soon surpass this level of profieciency on this guitar. This is not the most difficult guitar part, but it is certainly advanced flat finger style.

HEHE….I probably haven’t grown into any guitar yet :D. I will become proficient if it kills me :D. I have struggled with this particular part for awhile now. Crawdad did a guitar/vocal demo early on while we were working on this song and I loved the picking pattern he had so I tried to emulate it. He is very good, so I guess I picked a good thing to try to emulate :p :D. I also know that my technique is for crap. I only pick with my thumb and forefinger. I might as well cut the other 3digits off on my right hand :D. I think I’m going to break down and invest in some lessons here in the near future. They would be my first ever. I reached a very high level of proficiency as a trumpet player in the past (way in the past) so I know what it takes to get to that point with an instrument. I just hope to get to a point where can represent myself well as a songwriter when I go out and do writers nights and such. Thanks for the honest and valid observation. :)

studioviols said:
If ever there were a song I've been exposed to on this bbs where a slow mournful fiddle on the sweet side would fit, it's this one.

No disagreement on that one :D

studioviols said:
It's a fantastic bit of lyric writing, that's for sure. Your metaphor of life and the flow and the river is simply fantastic.

Thanks. Crawdad gets a lot of credit for that. I had originally written this song by myself and it was a lot more straight forward. Similar message, but not quite as in-depth as this. I think with his idea on a change of direction and our hammering out the lyrics we came up with something pretty good. Certainly a bunch better than my original version IMO.

studioviols said:
I truly believe you should retrack this until you are suprememly confidant and enjoying the guitar playing effortlessly, the song is well worth it.

Agreed. This song will be my first yardstick. I’m will be plunking away on this until I get a good take from start to finish (with no comping of tracks ;) :D). I almost never comp my vocal tracks so I would like to get to that point with the guitar playing as well. That’s my goal.

Thanks for the response. And OOOPS!!! I rambled again…sorry :D.

I don't have anything to add that anyone else has already commented on, but this song is a keeper for sure! Love the lyrics...

Excellent job!

:D

Hey John,

The guitar sounds great!
A little boomy like you said,but it definitly sounds miked.

I don't know if it helps,but I got an HD28 a while back,and have the same problem with the sound.
A problem with most Martins I think.

Try cutting around 149 Hz,with a tight Q.
That seems to be the spot on mine.

This is a really fine song,and your vocals are sweet as always!
Looking foward to hearing more from you,(and your new geetar!):D

Pete

that actually sounds really good for DI....I couldn't imagine you could get it sounding much better than that DI..........the only time you can kind of tell is when the frets buzz.......it has that different sound than micing it.............great sounding pickup though......

good song too...........

Hey Jag,
..Very nice DI man, prolly one of the best ive heard. I dont hear that "outta control midness" thats so typical with di's. I too have an Ovation Celeb... ...and this di'd sound just smokes mine. Money well spent on the Baggs.

Nice stuff man, ..gonna be a sweetie-pie when its finished.
g

Back