old school tune

Ibuildmyguitars

Hi, new here.
Here's a song I wrote and our band recorded. It's called "Twilight." It's about two years old now. This isn't a totally typical song for our band. We do mostly rock, not old school, but anyway...
Oh yeah: guitar parts recorded with a 5-watt tube amp I built (a Champ).
Whoops, here's the link.
http://www.purevolume.com/postscriptoh

Cool organ sound.
Pretty nice feel to this overall.
My nit here is that things sound a bit cluttered. To my ears everything doesn't sound like it's separated as much as it could be. EQing each instruments frequencies away from each other a bit more should create more space in the mix. For example, the vox sound a bit burried.
Maybe compress the bass a bit too, it sounds somewhat inconsistent
Cool track though, I like the rocking songwriting here, catchy catchy :cool:

Thanks for the thoughts.
I think the organ and guitar are battling for the midrange, which is probably part of what you were talking about.
I know what you mean about the bass! I actually already did some manual "compressing" (using "volume envelopes" in Acid). Our bassist has a way of playing one note super-soft, the next too loud.
Another thought about the muddiness: the bass was run through a guitar wah pedal--that's three instruments textured towards the midrange. Ah, well. We won't be recording it again for a while. I could tweak it, though.
Thanks again.

Cool tune, I liked it. I agree on some instruments fighting for some space and being buried. Should really try to get those out because it's a cool song.

man thats a pretty cool song. its got a really strong psychadelic trippy vibe to it. pretty cool. i pretty much agree with what everyone else said. play with the mix and see what you can come with. cool song though! :)

The mix all seems to be centered and it's all fighting for space. Some panning, left or right for the guitars and organ might ease the tension. The organ could work well with some sustained chords instead of the choppy chords, just a bit of variety would help out. It has a trippy 60's vibe to it.

Actually, the instruments are panned already, though not extremely. I've gotten feedback on another forum where somebody liked the "wide stereo pan"! :)
Thanks.

Back