Old Recordings

shookiejones

We have a few songs that were written a few years back and recorded on a TASCAM TSR-8. (those were the days!)
I now have a digital set up and would like to redo some of our older songs.
We would like to know if:

1. If the song is still worth redoing
2. Is so – anything that you think should be changed.

I am putting up the first one called: Consequences

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/susansleepssoundlymusic.htm

Thanks for your time and opinions.

im listening to it now... and its nice.

actually, im trying to think of the benefits of re-recording it are?

except for maybe using real drums of course.

if you do decide to redo it, i would definetly use real drums - the electronic drums give a good indication of what it should sound like, but real drums would sound better.

also, in the chorus, when the guitar plays the stab chords, i'd have the drums do something similar on cymbals, but stop them dead. would give a punchier sound, and possibly put more emphasis on the words, which i think is what you were trying to do?

only my thoughts on one listen to it though,

Andy

I agree with Andy - it's a very nice song. The drums don't fit at all, to my ears. I'd like to hear a little more bottom end and maybe a little less top - some of it sounds rather strident.

Definitely worth redoing. Lovely voices and guitar.

Sampled Drums

First off thanks very much for the comments.

I probably should have mentioned that one of the main reason for redoing it is because I want to hear it with real drums.

This version is actually a sampled loop of our own recorded drum tracks from another demo (with a little time stretch on there).

the sound had it's place at the time, and served it's purpose - but I long to hear it with drum breaks and as was mentioned giving it a punchier sound during the chorus. The other instruments can only do so much to promote dynamics.

I'd like to hear more comments, but it's good to have a couple of thumbs up to start!!

Thanks for you time.

shookiejones said:
We have a few songs that were written a few years back and recorded on a TASCAM TSR-8. (those were the days!)
I now have a digital set up and would like to redo some of our older songs.
We would like to know if:

1. If the song is still worth redoing
2. Is so – anything that you think should be changed.

I listened to it earlier and liked it. I tried to listen again just now but it won't come up. So I'll just say that you should certainly give it a try on your new equipment. Twenty years ago I had a nice Tascam 8 track setup. I really miss the sound of it. One thing you will learn is nothing sounds as sweet as tape. Digital is so much easier to work with; but my Tascam sounded like it was dripping with honey.

Keep writing,
Don

TaoManna Don said:
One thing you will learn is nothing sounds as sweet as tape. Digital is so much easier to work with; but my Tascam sounded like it was dripping with honey.

Sooo true just the things you have to do to "soften" things up for the digital world proves it.
the ability of virtually endless bouncing and the lack of tape hiss is a good argument for the other side too!

Thanks for your advice\opinions.

Back