Old Hard Drive in New Computer as Slave...

Rufer

I'm trying to get a FAT32 formatted main hard drive from a Windows 98 computer to act as a slave drive on my XP machine. I'm doing this to get the old files to the new computer.

I believe I've set the jumpers correctly. When I boot up and look in My Computer the slave does not show. The Add Hardware Wizard does see the drive and says it's working properly.

Also, and possibly most importantly, the Disk Manager sees the slave drive but doesn't allow me to add a drive letter or explore or do anything except repartition the drive--losing all of the files I'm trying to save.

Any advice? Thank you very much.

Matt

when you boot up your computer, enter the bios and see if the bios recognizes the slave..if it does..then your jumpers are correct and the harddrive works, if it doesnt then either the harddrive is fried or the jumpers are wrong

after you made sure the bios recognizes it...make sure its formated into the right filesystem as your op sys. i cant remember of the top of my head if XP is fat32 or NTFS...but look it up..if you need to format it..get partition magic..its an awsome program.

XP recognizes both FAT32 and NTFS file systems.

What you've done SHOULD work. In fact, you should be able to boot from that drive if you change the boot-drive sequence in the BIOS. Have you tried that?

Have you tried booting from a Win 98 boot floppy and seeing if you can get around on that drive? The next step, if that works, is to see if you can see it from a command prompt within XP.

BTW, you can convert a FAT32 partition to a NTFS partition with the CONVERT command. But if your OS doesn't see the drive...

Yep, it support both :)
My C: drive is NTFS and my E: drive is FAT32 (which happens to be the old drive from my old Win98 machine!) D:\ is my CDRW

Here's another thought:

Win 2K and XP do NOT recognize partitions compressed under Win 98 (DoubleSpace or DriveSpace). If that's the case, you'll have to boot from that drive and decompress.

Back