Old dog, new tricks?

gbdweller

Structural Member
After 25 years of playing guitar, it has been brought to my attention by my wife, that when I'm not playing guitar, I'm tapping out rhythym patterns with my hands and feet. It's a pretty constant and annoying (for others) thing. My question is, can an old dog learn new tricks like drums and where should I start as far as equipment goes. Due to space and noise issues, I'm thinking an electric kit is the way I would need to go. Am I waisting my time and money, or will I be able to satisfy my constant need to tap out patterns all day? I'd hate to spend too little and get crap, or spend too much and look at the set become a clothes hanger.

Only you know how motivated of a musican you are. I do believe that a musicain is always capable of learning new instruments. Learning any instrument is a matter of dedication and motivation (and perhaps a small amount of talent). Not only do I think musicains can learn new instruments - I think they have an obligation to. Learning each new instrument improves the way you approach your primary instrument. As an example, if you start to think like a drummer, your rhythem guitar chops may become better.

I'm in my 50s and every few years I try to learn a new instrument. While my main axe is the drum kit, in my 20's I learned various hand percussion (actually learned technique, not just "hitting" new things). In my 30s I learned keyboards and harmonica. In my 40s I learned guitar (actually, I started playing a little guitar and keys in my 20's - but in later years I made the commitment to really learn the instruments. In my 50s I'm learning banjo and violin. Steel guitar is next on the list and maybe, if I have the time sax.

So in answer to your question - hell yeah, an old dog can learn new tricks!!

Regarding what to learn on. I think electronic drum kits are a good option to an accoustic kit - in particular if volume is an issue. I would strongly suggest getting mesh pads (vs. the rubber pads). Not only does the mesh lend itself more to drum "hand technique" but is also physically more user friendly than the rubber pads (which can really cause wear and tear on the hands, wrists & elbows). Roland has several options and the Pintech pads are decent. I'm not much of a fan of the Yamaha electronic kits (but they do accoustic drums well).

There are so many very good video/DVDs to teach everything from the most basic (how to set up drums) all the way to advance playing 4 way syncopated kit playing. It's always a good idea to get some lessons - better sooner than later, to avoid learning bad habits that can be hard to break. Like any adult education - you need to communicated what you hope to achieve and hopefully find a teacher that can adapt a program you your needs. As an example, maybe you want to start learning some basic kit grooves - vs. staring with single stroke rolls.

I you really want to learn drums - you can. To what level - that if up to you.

Last edited:
Another viewpoint........you don't have to be great at something to enjoy doing it. My primary instrument is guitar but I have owned a drumset for the last four years. I bang out beats a few times a week, never really practice, but it is a good stress reliever for me. I say if your interested in it, then go for it.

Go for it. I'm a 47 year old guitarist and have had an old kit around for a few years but just banged about on it. After lots of fooling around with different drum machines , electric drums, etc I decided to learn drums so I could play on my own recordings. I have been playing now for about six months and it has completely taken over my life. I think, breathe and sleep drums. It gives you a completely different perspective on your music, lets you relate to crazy drummers and speak their lingo and it gives an outlet to some great primal instincts ! I find it really inspiring to come up with some groove or patttern on the drums and then write music to it, in through the back door so to speak. I bought a set of japanese made Yamaha (tour customs) second hand.....got to have good sounding drums.
Concerning your option of electric drums, I've had access to v drums for the past year or so and even contemplated buying them from my friend...but....they just aint the same beast. Lots of pros, but they just dont seem to inspire (for me anyway) the same way as an acoustic kit,the cymbals always seem to be an issue and there are just SOOOO many options that I spent most of the time fiddling and looking for other or better sounds.
I'm like Mikeh and like to learn something new every few years, so I would support the 'now is the right time' perspective. Every guitarist needs to wake up to the reality that drummers are human too. :)

Go for it man. I'm 42 and have played guitar for close to 30 years. I picked up the drums about 3 years ago mainly because I'm in the same boat as you...tapping and thumping with my feet all the time. And yeah, annoying to others at times... :)
But I found that all that tapping and feet work was kinda like air drumming and when I finally got a set, I discovered that my rhythm was actually pretty good, I could keep a steady beat, and I'm not a half bad drummer. Not great by any stretch, but not bad.
Grab a set, borrowed for a week or a month or buy one, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Luck man......... ;)

Whoah, I appear to be backwards! I learned drums first, and started guitar about 7-8 years ago. I love being able to come home, pick up a guitar and play a sweet tune / rip up some metal riffage (depending on what mood I'm in), but drums is my real passion, and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

Go for it!

Elton Bear said:
Whoah, I appear to be backwards!

Whoa!!! Elton, dont use those terms when speaking to a guitarist, you will only perpetuate the problem. As a guitarist who has been reborn as a drummer I am trying to show them that drummers are lovable, intelligent and generally highly talented beings. There are some hideous misconceptions out there :)

35, picked up an electric kit last winter, I can pound away in the apartment, sounds close enough, making progress, I'm pretty happy.

Except I want real drums, too. PDP FXR, with the 10" add-on would be bonerriffic. Red, please.

Don't flatter yourself, gbdweller. You hardly qualify as an old dog. Ask me this question again in 20 years, and if I'm still alive I'll give you the same answer I'm giving you today: If you think you'll enjoy it, do it. And never stop learning new things.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm gonna go for it. I'll drag my drummer around to help me in my purchase. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me spend the money. ;)

I've noticed that since I started playing drums, my sex drive has increased many fold. Maybe that could play in your favour ;) Must be something to do with the opening of the base chakra, bloody drummers have been keeping these secrets from us for decades!

Back