Old console modules in a Mac Pro case.

Do you use a punch or a step bit for the XLR's? On that thin of metal I'm sure it isn't too hard, but I'm looking for suggestions.

I didn't have appropriate tools to hand so I used what I had.

I drilled four or five small holes within the target area, snipped the gaps between them, then used a dremel to bore and smooth them out to XLR size.

Not ideal but job done. :)

ha, frankensteinamaroo......

I'm probably the only person who enjoyed that. :(

Recorded a wee tune through them today.

Not the best example of their clarity cos I have a kinda of distressed effect going on the master, but still.

Whoa, that totally took me off guard. 26 in the UK != that voice and style in my mind for some reason. :laughings: I guess I expected an accent and... techno or something....uncultured heathen here, I guess :o

It sounds good though - what was the console you took the channel strips out of? Also - did you wire up the power through the button on the case?

uncultured heathen here, I guess :o

Nah, I think I'm just the odd one out! lol.

I'm not certain what console they're from. I think the Ward Beck R2000 used them, but there's seems to be a lot of overlap, as if their consoles were all custom ordered?
Maybe they were.

I didn't wire up the button I'm afraid. I doubt it'd handle that kind of power but I didn't wanna find out the hard way.

I actually had to mount the power transformer in an old behringer power supply box and used their connectors on the back side of the mac pro case.
Neat enough job I suppose, but I would have preferred the transformer inside, letting me use the mains power socket on the back of the macpro case instead.

There was too much buzz getting picked up when I tried that. :(

Last edited:
I didn't wire up the button I'm afraid. I doubt it'd handle that kind of power but I didn't wanna find out the hard way.

Well, yea, lol - I would suggest using a relay if you did it. :p Still wondering what those channels are - they kinda look like Ward Becks, but surely not... That'd be kinda cool.

Nice! Wow... don't see those very often. "The Canadian Neve", lol. Ward Becks in a Mac Pro is an epic Frankenstein! That makes me want to put some vintage stuff in a broken tablet's case or something.

Lmao. Nice touch.

What do you think of my ipod dock?
www.steenaudio.com/dock.JPG

Just kidding of course, Although I'm tempted. :P

Have you used ward beck stuff? They don't seem to be that well known.

I racked a pair of 470a modules too. Cracking stuff. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 23
Have you used ward beck stuff?
Yeppers. A studio I worked at in San Antonio had all kinds of boutique stuff. The owner called the Ward Becks his "Canadian Neves", which turned to "Neve Canucks" and eventually "CaNeves". I don't remember which unit the WB channels came out of, but they were modified in a few ways to have some stuff they didn't come with. The pres really did sound similar to his Neves (which came out of an 8078, iirc).
They don't seem to be that well known.
I think people who have them might want to keep it that way :p

I guess I don't see (or recognize) what you're showing me in the ipod pic :(, but I knew those channel strips from the FrankenMacWBamaroo 2012 model looked familiar.

there's an ipod on the amp, as if it's a dock.

I got my ward becks for $40...US dollars...a piece.

Ok, they were line modules, but they're identical to the mic input modules barring a handful of caps and resistors.
I really got a winner that day man.

There are a few common mods out there. I know people mod the eqs for a wider q. I think they're were originally quite surgical.

The only mods I've done other than setting them up for mic input is adding a pad, phantom power and a gain pot instead of the little trimmer pot.

Back