Oktava MK-012/MC-012 differences

Webb

Here is another Oktava thread to add to the others. Could someone tell me what the difference is between the MK-012 and the MC-012?

One person said the MC is the Chinese knock-off which you should be avoided. Another said they are essentially the same. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

I'm looking at using them to record acoustic guitar. Also, do they have to be a matched pair for true stereo recording?

Ok, since no one is calling me on my BS answer (just trying to have a little fun on a dreary Monday), here's my real answer, or rather, Harvey Gerst's real answer.

MC = Microphone, usually stamped on models for export from Russia.

MK = Mikrofon, usually stamped on models for the Eastern bloc.

Those of us with MKs like to think they might be better, but there's no proof of that as far as I know.

Ok, since no one is calling me on my BS answer (just trying to have a little fun on a dreary Monday), here's my real answer, or rather, Harvey Gerst's real answer.

MC = Microphone, usually stamped on models for export from Russia.

MK = Mikrofon, usually stamped on models for the Eastern bloc.

Those of us with MKs like to think they might be better, but there's no proof of that as far as I know.

Probably a difference in transliteration of Russian letters to Roman letters....

AFAIK, the Chinese ones are all MC-012, though most MC-012 mics are Russian. If it says MK-012, AFAIK, it is guaranteed to be Russian.

BTW, the export thing isn't right. I have two legitimate Oktavas, both are A.S.M. mics, so they were made for distribution in the U.S. Both say MK. AFAIK, the earliest ones (no serial number) were MK, then they switched to MC at some point, then after the Chinese importer situation, they switched back to MK.

BTW, the export thing isn't right. I have two legitimate Oktavas, both are A.S.M. mics, so they were made for distribution in the U.S. Both say MK. AFAIK, the earliest ones (no serial number) were MK, then they switched to MC at some point, then after the Chinese importer situation, they switched back to MK.

Yeah, all mine, including my 319, are MKs, and I don't even live on the East coast, let alone in the Eastern Bloc. But it still could have been the intention before the GC demand outstripped the factory capacity. All I know is they sound really good. Do you have any of the LDC caps for the 012 preamp?

Yeah, all mine, including my 319, are MKs, and I don't even live on the East coast, let alone in the Eastern Bloc. But it still could have been the intention before the GC demand outstripped the factory capacity. All I know is they sound really good. Do you have any of the LDC caps for the 012 preamp?

Nah. I just have the stock cardioid capsules. I use them for drum overheads.

Back