Oktava MK-012 $99 Pair @ GC

dietcookie

I just got back form GC and picked up a pair, they are selling alot of stuff at 50%, including the MK-012 for $49.99 each, so I picked up a pair. Till sunday only I think.

I am going to swing by the local GC here in Orlando tomorrow to see if they have the Octavas on sale. I am getting a pair of 603's for Xmas, but i am tempted to get these too, because they are so cheap. I'll have to see if i can score a deal on a DMP3. If not, then i might get the Octavas.

Decisions, decisions.

anton

Whats the deal with these things? Are there different capsules you can put on them or something?

Yes, Outlaws. The MC012's come cardioid, but they make hypercardioid and omni capsules for them as well. They can be hard to come by cheap, though. GC sells either the straight cardioid version or the mic with all three capsules. Their inventory will show a "capsule kit" which contains the omni and hypercardioid capsule, but usually don't stock it, and will give you creative excuses if you try to order it.
The Sound Room will sell you individual capsules or matched pairs for a higher price, but I'm told that due to a death in the business (God, I hope Taylor Johnson's not dead), they are not currently accepting orders. Right now, your best bet is to buy the mic with all 3 capsules at GC and pony up the cash.
They do negotiate on the prices, though, and I've been quoted everything from $99 to $145 for an unmatched pair by sales staff in the same store! So you have to grind some balls. Best bet, bring a little girl with a guitar who can cry on cue. You'll get your best price.- "I was gonna be like Britney Spears, but the mean people at GC destroyed my dream, etc." You get the picture.-Richie

Yes, Outlaws. The MC012's come cardioid, but they make hypercardioid and omni capsules for them as well. They can be hard to come by cheap, though. GC sells either the straight cardioid version or the mic with all three capsules. Their inventory will show a "capsule kit" which contains the omni and hypercardioid capsule, but usually don't stock it, and will give you creative excuses if you try to order it.
The Sound Room will sell you individual capsules or matched pairs for a higher price, but I'm told that due to a death in the business (God, I hope Taylor Johnson's not dead), they are not currently accepting orders. Right now, your best bet is to buy the mic with all 3 capsules at GC and pony up the cash.
They do negotiate on the prices, though, and I've been quoted everything from $99 to $145 for an unmatched pair by sales staff in the same store! So you have to grind some balls. Best bet, bring a little girl with a guitar who can cry on cue. You'll get your best price.- "I was gonna be like Britney Spears, but the mean people at GC destroyed my dream, etc." You get the picture.-Richie

P.S.- I just checked The Sound Room's web site, www.oktava.com, and it appears they are relocating, and expect to start accepting orders within a couple of weeks. Last I knew, the capsules were $65 apiece there, with very good quality control. There is also a large diaphragm LOMO capsule that screws onto the MC012 body, and produces a pretty good LD vocal mic.

Yup, I'm going today and picking up 2 myself :) My gf is driving me 85 miles to the nearest GC to pick them up. Isn't she sweet?
-Brandon

Richard Monroe said:
...Their inventory will show a "capsule kit" which contains the omni and hypercardioid capsule, but usually don't stock it, and will give you creative excuses if you try to order it.
A friend of mine who works at GC said they have lots of trouble getting them because Oktava stays rather short handed and perfers to sell them in the 3-capsule mic deal only. Doesn't explain how the Soundroom gets them though. I plan on ordering an omni cap from them as soon as they get moved.

Whats the difference between the MC012's and the MK012"s? I use a pair of MK012's for OH on my drum kit, so far, they seem pretty decent for the bucks.

Flatpicker said:
...Doesn't explain how the Soundroom gets them though. I plan on ordering an omni cap from them as soon as they get moved.

That's what I did a couple of months ago. Works perfectly. I was saddened to hear that the lady who sold it to me, Liz, was the person who recently passed away.

Jeez, you guys get all the deals!
I've just parted with £160 ($270!) for a MC012 (with caps) - and that's a GOOD deal round these parts.

lo beam said:
Jeez, you guys get all the deals!
I've just parted with £160 ($270!) for a MC012 (with caps) - and that's a GOOD deal round these parts.

Dude, you should just ask someone here to buy stuff for you and mail it to you, and you'll send payment thru paypal or something... I would do it.

Amped said:
Whats the difference between the MC012's and the MK012"s? I use a pair of MK012's for OH on my drum kit, so far, they seem pretty decent for the bucks.
One is the '012 with all three capsulse and the other is the '012 with just the cardioid capsule. Forgot which was which, though...

No.

The MC012A or MK012A is the single cap version
The MC012 or MK012 is the three cap version

Those mics with the MC designation are sold through The Sound Room. Those with the MK designation through outlets which are supplied by Oktava LTD (AKA: A & F McKay Audio)

Simple.

88fingers said:
Dude, you should just ask someone here to buy stuff for you and mail it to you, and you'll send payment thru paypal or something... I would do it.

You know - that would be great :)
I've thought of buying from US dealers before, but then remembered that the goods can often be subject to sales taxes which can bump up the price on a good deal.
However, buying from individuals - labelling the package as a gift - would work better I reckon.
I'll pm you, if that's ok, about maybe doing that at some point?
Many thanks.

Amped said:

Here is THE answer from Taylor Johnson.

MC = Microphone, usually used in stamping models for export from Russia.

MK = Mikrofon, usually used in stamping models for the Eastern bloc.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Mark7 said:
No.

The MC012A or MK012A is the single cap version
The MC012 or MK012 is the three cap version...
Looks like you are correct about the Sound Room versions, but the GC versions are“MK-012-01” for the single capsule version (at least that’s what’s printed on all 5 of the ones I have here from GC).

The Russian booklet that comes with these mics has “MK-012”, “MK-012A”, “MK-012-01”, and “MK-012A-01” on the cover and inside someone has hand-written a “01” in the underline after the printed “MK-012___”. I can’t read the rest – it’s all Greek…er…Russian to me! :p

This is really confusing because it appears the GC version doesn’t use the “A” suffix for the single capsule and the Sound Room does.

Anyway, I could have sworn I saw a “MC-012” in a GC flier referring to the 3 capsule version. I’m sure I didn’t dream that up, but I really don’t have time to track it down… It could have just been a miss-print.

Oh well, carry on.

Back