Oktava Mic Pack from Guitar Center

Oktava Copys!!!

i heard that GC has been known to sell oktava copys made in China.
http://oktava.tula.net/fake/
to see.

so it might be that bad mics are from china.
i have had 3 Mk319 in total, the ones that sounded bad were chinese. i currently use one as a drum overhead (live use) its great.
i also have some older soviet oktava. which i bought whilst in russia. and they do sound good.

toadies said:
Was browsing thou the online Guitar Center Catalog and found this deal.

3 Oktava MK219 condensor mics, 1 Oktava MK319 studio condenser mic, 2 Oktava MK012 condenser mics, 2 SM012 Microphone shock mounts, the Oktava SM319 Microphone shock mount and 6 PRO20M 20' mic cables

all for $499.99, is this worth the value? what other deals are out there.

Wow they must really be desparate to move those mics, funny the 2 stores near me have been sold out of Oktava mics for at least a month now. Well, let's see.... the MK219 aren't really that great, although they are the same mic as the 319, just in a really crappily designed housing, so you can mod them to sound good with a little work.
The MK319 is a good mic, very good when considering the price. They fixed a lot of the housing resonance issues with the 219 and released it as the 319.
The MC012 are pretty damn good SDC's at any price, I don't have much direct experience. There's speculation that these might be the "fake" chinese knock off's and not "real" Oktava mics, but everything I've heard says that the chinese ones sound just as good if not more consistent from mic to mic.
IMO, it's a good deal, but the prices for the individual mics are rock bottom anyway, so it's probably smarter to buy the mics you need individually rather than getting the package and trying to find a use for each mic.

callanansystems said:
i heard that GC has been known to sell oktava copys made in China.
http://oktava.tula.net/fake/
to see.

so it might be that bad mics are from china.
i have had 3 Mk319 in total, the ones that sounded bad were chinese. i currently use one as a drum overhead (live use) its great.
i also have some older soviet oktava. which i bought whilst in russia. and they do sound good.

its true... guitar center is now liquidating all their oktava mics because they were mislead by the vendor. I have a pair of REAL MK012's, and for the hell of it, I bought a chinnese MC012 from GC a few weeks ago (I it for $60!!)... the originals sound much much better. The high mids are much harsher on the chineese ones... defeating the MK012's usefullness for drum overheads.

Back