OKTAVA MC 012-01 vrs. MXL 603

fretwire3d

Which would you suggest for drum overheads and acoustic instruments. I'll be getting a matched pair of these.

I have 2 SM57’s and a Beta 52. These will have to do everything else.

Which one? Any other suggestions in the same price range?

fretwire3d said:
Which would you suggest for drum overheads and acoustic instruments. I'll be getting a matched pair of these.

The Marshall MXL603S is a tad brighter sounding mic than the Oktava MC-012. IMO, the MC-012's handle cymbals better (not as harsh) than the MXL603S's. I recommend the Oktava MC-012's over the Marshall MXL603S for drum overheads.

Last edited:
I like them both on my acoustic. If I had a choice, I'd pick the Octava because you can add an omni cap later. I usually use the 603s on the neck and the Oktava on the bout.

hi there,

i'd also prefer the oktavas, i would buy a realmatched pair though, (soundroom etc...) cause you want both miks to sound exactly the same.
if youre buying such a stereo pair you'll ed up paying about 100$ more thatn for the mxl's, but you'll get the mk84 capsules :rolleyes: with it...

cheers

You don't necessarily need factory or aftermarket matched pairs for pop recording. Legit music requires it as well as those instances where you'll be tracking acoustic solo instruments. In those situations your recordings likely will get serious scrutiny.

In a conventional pop recording where there is a lot going on it'd be impossible to discern the effects of a perfectly matched pair against another pair. I would say that when it comes to Oktava (great mics but not as consistent as other makes) I personally would want to put a pair together after listening to several mics.

If you decide on the Octavas go with the Soundroom not necessarily for the matching but simply to be sure you are getting decent proper working ones.

And If you decide on the Marshall's, make sure they aren't missing any parts... like the little rings on the capsules and etc.

Sounds like we're recommending mics that aren't made so well. Maybe Audio-Technica will come out with a 20 series small condenser and perhaps remedy this situation where we recommend mics but warn of defects and inconsistencies.

Yes, I would. Easily.

Soundwise, they're a hair brighter than the mc-012 . . . maybe a hair darker than the 603.

These things should get talked about/recommended a lot more. They've kinda' been under the radar for a while now.

fretwire3d said:

You might want to get of to Guitar Center. They're having a blowout sale of some of the Groove Tubes mics, the GT33 an GT44, both 3/4" mid-diaphragm condensers. The 33 is a FET and going for $99. The 44 is a tube mic and going for $199.

You can listen to some clips of Rode mics at http://www.rode.com.au/

The NT5 is on the Ride cymbal in their clip. Listen to the jazz tune. I heard it a while back and it sounded harsh, now it sounds good. I suspect they may have changed the clip (or my hearing changed). I bought the Oktavas and I love them, but the Rode seems to sound good too.

Back