oktava and apex

bigskee

do these companies make good mics? are ther any experiences with the oktava mc319 or the apex 430 condenser mics. looking to choose a mic in the 0- 200 dollar range. any info or suggestions will help me alot.
bigskee.

I have a 319 and a 420. The 319 is a dark, round sounding mic. I love it on vocals. The 420 which is the dual pattern version is almost too bright. Sounds good on some vocalists and on bright acoustic guitar.

oktava mc012 are great for drum overheads and acoustic guitars, etc ...
I have a MK219 and I'll give an ... "ehhh it's ok". Good on vocals for some things, but not others. Pretty mid-rangey for my tastes.
I'd much prefer the AT 4033 for vocals.
are you looking for a vocal mic?

The Oktava mics don't have a good reputation for quality control, so they wouldn't be my first choice. Many people swear by the MC012 for acoustic guitar and overheads and it has a big following. The MK219 and MK319 are warm and mid-rangy. I have the 219 and like it for that reason....but, it wouldn't be my first choice for a mic.

I would consider the Audio Technica 3035 or Studio Projects C1 in the $200 range.

If you can save up another $100 you could buy the AKG C3000B, Rode NT1000, or Audio Technica 4033. The AKG and Audio Technica both have low-cut filters, 10 db pads, and come with good shockmounts.

As I understand it, APEX mics are Yorkville's attempt to grab part of the Lge Diaphragm mic market. But are most likely "off the shelf" models from China similar to ADKs, etc.

AT, AKG, Rode and Studio Projects are the safer options to explore but if possible try them out first and remember NO ONE MIC is going to be right for all applications all the time.

Peace.........ChrisO :cool:

yes it's true, apex is yorkville's attempt at breaking the mic market, but they are actually very good for the money, and they have excellent quality control, whereas the octivas do not. They are not particularly great sounding on their own, but in a mix they can hold their own...i have heard some really good stuff done entirely on apex 420s, done by people who have next to no recording experience.

matt

Back