Oktava 319 or AT 4033

jet-rocker

Ok, I've been reading the archives, and searching my gut for over a month.

I've had a chance to try the 4033 and like it alot. Liked the 4050 even better, but it's way out of my price range. Couldn't stand the smaller AT3525? though. The only other mic I'd consider would be the Oktava 319 (not from Guitar Sucker). I've read many things about this mike,but I always
like to try before I buy. But I also believe in cheap post-soviet technology. (I love my Sovtek amp.)

The price of the two is pretty much the same.
299 for the at 4033 from 8thstreet.com w/shockmount
279 for the Oktava from the soundroom

I'm sure that either one will be an improvement from my $70 At midnight blues, small diaphragm condeser. (suprisingly nice for the $$ though)

Any input in these hours of tribulation would be greatly appreciated.

-Jett Rocker

The AT4033 is a MUCH higher quality mike, and i think sounds much better also. But that, of course, has some subjectivity. Make sure to see a 319 up close before you buy ! :)

Peace,
Rick

I own both and they're both great mics. The 4033 is probably an all around better workhorse mic but I prefer the 319 on vocals. It has a warmer sound, IMHO.

Yo!!!...

Oh YOU may think so The Axis, but I don't.

You're right I would most likely grab the 4033 out of the cabinet a good 75-90% of the time because it's A LOT more of an all-around workhorse but there would be plenty enough times I'd grab the 319, which I consider more of a "specialty mic"; of course, I've known it to become a vocal workhorse mic for certain people with the "right voice".

It was Track Rat who said the AT4033 was a "better all-around mike." I said the AT4033 was higher quality (meaning manufacturing construction). Something that can readiliy be observed by LOOKING at the two mikes. That's why I advised him to LOOK at a 319 before buying...he might like the sound better anyway.
Peace,
Rick

you guys are really entertaining! are you musicians?

But seriously, your informative romps have helped me a lot
on choosing a mic. i've used a sm58 for years on my 4 track
cassette.basically worked/sounded ok. now that i'm back into recording(lately towards computers), i want a mic for my vocals to be good enough(better than sm58 anyway) to eventually produce cd's. these at4033 and octava 319, are they in my ballpark of $200? i see various models akg,neuman,etc. in Musician "bleck" magazine. they are the----"used to be $450 types now down to $199".
Any suggestions or links? thanks a bunch---jw

Hey! Don't diss the AT3525. I have one and it's all I could afford ($174US) ..I think it's a swell mic. I'll probably get one of those great sounding yet butt ugly NT1s in the future. Or maybe a Neumann TLM170. Har har! :D

Isaiah

Back